Anybody buy dies for a gun they hope to get??

Do you buy dies for rifles you want, but don't own?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Am I the only guy who has a few odd calibers that I want to own someday and when I see dies for it I'll buy them and they sit on my bench for often a long time before seeing use. Just waiting to buy or build the rifle for the dies.

Presently, I have dies for: 17 rem, 243 AI, 8mm-06.

Also, I have dies for rifles I no longer have, but these three are guns I have never owned. I want to build a 243 AI this year, so I bought those new, the other two I got used.

JT.

That is a great idea to keep a person encouraged to buy the rifle they want. But I wouldn't want dies sitting on my bench collecting dust.

If the price is right, or if I am seriously planning on picking up the calibre.

No, but I do have a set of 280 Rem dies that were given to me by my cousin, in hopes of getting one someday. Maybe I should get a set of 375 H/H dies in hopes one will follow me home... Scotty

I've had a set of 7Rem Mag dies on my bench for over ten years and frankly being a 280 fan I never had any desire to own a 7 Rem.

Well,I've got one now.Got bored with one of my two 308 varmit guns and traded it for a Savage Tactical :roll:

I bought a set of RCBS 45-70 dies, brass, and bullets and got the rifle about 3 years later!

JD338

7x57mm for a Ruger 1A. The only other #1 I want in my battery.

What is worse, I've bought brass because it was a good price (and bullets because they were a good price), and then went looking for a rifle to fit the brass (and even one in the right calibre at other times).

DrMike":3kejik63 said:
What is worse, I've bought brass because it was a good price (and bullets because they were a good price), and then went looking for a rifle to fit the brass (and even one in the right calibre at other times).

That is very good logic for gun nuts like us! :grin:

JD338

DrMike":1zzm6faa said:

Done that with the 270 wsm......

and that is how you get in trouble,

besides who needs a 257 that can do 3800 fps with a 110 AccuBond?

:mrgreen:

I have aquired dies several times then later bought a rifle/pistol for them. I also have gotten brass and/or bullets then later got dies and a firearm to use them in.
Got the 257weatherby dies a year or more before the rifle. Got the brass then dies over a year before I got the 7mm-08 rifle. Got 204ruger brass/bullets and dies before I got the rifle.
Presently have a new set of unused 500S&W dies but no brass/bullets or barrel for my encore pistol to use them.
I have had some 43mauser original ammo for years and just got a rifle for it a week ago. Now I need to get dies/brass and bullets to load to shoot it. The original ammo is worth too much to shoot.

I do the same thing with scopes. I still have more than a dozen scopes(about half Leupold) waiting for me to get rifles/pistols for them. Also some rings/mounts.

who doesn't need a laser beam pop

I settled for the weatherby

hey driver since leupold has lifetime warranty and you aren't far from me I think I can find some rifles to put them to use

This stupid savage had my attention when I first built it, now that I got a barrel wrench things could get interesting.

I did manage to locate a savage 110 bolt with a 30-06 boltface too.

JT.

jtoews80 I'm in the same boat. Got myself a Savage 110 30-06 from the local pawn shop and the nut wrench. Barrel is off, dies, brass, and bullets are on the shelf. Just waiting for the 280 AI barrel!

Nitis......Send the rifles over and I will be happy.

I have the 257weatherby shooting well with 115gr PAR bullets and IMR7828 loaded max.

I am itching for a 7x57mm in a Ruger 1a........
maybe I should get some dies first?

Back