Anyone ever tried necking up 270 Weatherby brass to 7mm Wea

wbyfan1

Beginner
Apr 9, 2012
Found a great deal on a 7mm Weatherby. I own a 270 Weatherby and have tons of brass for it. Was thinking I could save a bit of money and just run some of my 270 Wby brass through a 7mm Wby FL die. Anyone ever done this? If so, how did it work out? Were the necks thick enough? Any neck splitting issues? Etc..

Thanks all.

Do it all the time. No problem at all. You can also neck up 257 Wea to 7mm but you must lube the inside of the neck well or you may collapse the shoulder

Can you do it? Sure.

Would I do it? Nope.

If you own both, with my luck I'd mix up one or the other, worse yet if they're already loaded and I try to shoot the 7mm bullets in my 270 rifle. Even though I am very careful about what loads I have on the shooting table at any one time I would never take the risk.

Use the money you saved and buy some 7mm Wby brass. It's not that hard to find, and there WILL be a day you thank yourself.

I bang around the weatherby calibers pretty good. 300 to 340.......7mm wby down to 270. I've turned 7mm rem mag to both 257 and 270 wby.
I'm not sure a 7mm bullet would fit the freebore of a 270.....but like mentioned above...make DARN sure you mark your new ammo well.
Also changing things up works way better w/virgin or annealed neck/shoulders.

Back