Anyone shooting the .250 Savage?

dakotaelkslayer

Beginner
Dec 1, 2006
Would like to hear your experience with the .250 Savage... Kicking around the idea of getting one for the son's first rifle.

Jim

No first hand experience with the 250-3000 but I do have a 257 Roberts.
The 250 is a real sleeper and will work great on deer sized game. You will have your best luck with the 100 gr bullets, the longer 115-120 gr'ers will not get enough velocity to stabilize.

JD338

Dakota
My only rifle is a 250 Savage. It was mostly a superstitious choice, well that and money. Initially I was looking for a 25-06 and set my wifes uncle looking for one back home in SD. Anything but .30 cal. is as rare as hens teeth here in Minnesota. Long story short he picked up a home built Mauser 93 reportedly built by a guy who worked for Dakota rifles. The theroy being that there was less recoil and good accuracy. (Incidentally - Dakota made a youth rifle in this calibre- beautiful piece)

Any way some time later I broke the neck of an Antelope with that rifle and of course he dropped like a stone- I was hooked!!! Finances or lack there of, forced me to sell it. I spent the next several years looking for and trying to scrape up some money to buy another. I fianlly found an FN project rifle in this cal. and spent seveal years "finishing it".

Sorry you didnt ask for a life story- anyway, I really like the 250- low recoil great accuracy!!! I filled a wyoming antelope tag last year with a 100gr BT at 264 yds. Havent tried it on deer.

Bullet options are a little limited as the case is small enough that bullets larger than 1oo grns fill up a lot of the case and reduce velocity. Look on the hunting page for some reloading options. Factory ammo options, when you can find them are limited. !00 grain loads are the only ones out there that I know of. Remington and Win. are your options. Remington still sells brass. I dont know of competition die sets for the Sav. but they might be out there.

So far all my loads have been with H4350 or IMR 4350 because thats all my Dad uses in his 7 Mag.

40 grains works under the following:

100gr barnes X - about an inch

100 Grain partitions - about 3/4 inch

85 gr CT - about the same

75 gr Hornady V-max Sub half inch all day long

and my favorite 38 grains of IMR 4350 under a 100 grain BT will give you the perfect "cloverleaf" if I get lucky and do my part.

Posted velocities with the 100 grainers are between 2800- 3000 fps.
As I said, from what Ive read, velocities fall off fast with the larger slugs. Published data which I question gives about 1000 foot pds of energy to about 250 yds. There used to be an 85 grn X bullet out there that pushed that energy figure out there to 300 yds or so.

IMR 4064 is supposed to be a great powder for the cal. according to the guru at the local reload shop. He shoots a pre 64 model 70 that is a wonder. I havent tried 4064 yet. It seems pretty forgiving reload wise, the only bullet I cant make work well is the speer, but thats the extent of what I've tried.

Ive shot a 257 Rob. Cant remember that there was any great difference in recoil but that one did have a muzzle brake. If you look only at the numbers the 250 looses out to the Rob. and the 243. Barsness happens to like the 250 and thinks the greater sectional area of the .25 cal gives it some advantage over the 243. The Rob has more factory loaded options including the +p loads and some loads from Hornady. you can also go w/ heavier bullets.

I think its a great round but I enjoy it for its low recoil and the fact that I got an accurate one. If I could find the right rifle ( met Ron Coburn- Savage Rifles- and tried to talk him into chambering a rifle in that cal.) and wanted to reload for the fun of it a 250 would be great. Be careful with the model 99 savages as some of the older ones reportedly may not stabilize the 100 grn bullets as well. I dont have experience with that and dont quite understand it. Some one with more knowlwdge than I could speak to that.

I dont know if a I would give it the nod over the Rob. in the practicality department but it is a great round and underrated IMHO. The 250 Ackley improved is reported to be the round that gave Ackley his greatest percentage of velocity improvement. It is a great round, and dosent get the credit it deserves for its potential with modern bullets and powders. Try some H414 (I havent talked Dad into loading some yet) but there is published data out there for the 100 grn bullet and that powder that give the 243 a run for its money.

Well enough already- I like it - I'd take another one oevr the Rob. and would love to see an Accu trigger equiped predator model from Savage. C'mon Ron :lol: Let me know what you decide. CL

Because I can- a link to last years goat pic and the rifle.
PRONGHORN064.jpg

cloverleaf,

If you want a 250 Savage with an accutrigger, just go buy a short action savage and do a barrel swap. You see, that is my grand scheme! :shock: Been reading about how easy it is to switch barrels on a Savage( it is a do-it-yourself-even-if-you-are-mechanically-challenged). Even backordered a 1990 copy of Rifle magazine that had a good article on it. MidWay has the barrel on sale for $119 and the barrel nut wrench is around $18.
What you are getting out of those 100gr. bullets sounds good to me! Since I don't believe in "energy required to kill such and such animal," sounds like it would be an easy 300yds. deer rifle. Heck, I punch through whitetail with my 6.5 at 300yds w/ 100gr BT @3050fps, and the .25 would have a better SD. A LOW RECOIL whitetail youth rifle is what I want to achieve; and it sounds like you have one!
Buddy, thanks a bunch for taking the time to tell me the "story" Hmmm...I guess it may come down to if the cheap Savage rifle I find for the barrel swap has a short, or long action...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Jim

CL,

I just knew you would join in on this discussion. :wink: Great write up!

Regarding your comment on the Savage 99, I think the issue lies in the barrel twist. Its slower so it won't stabilize the longer heavier bullets.

JD338

JD
I knew it was somthing like that....didnt want to mis inform as I dont really understand that whole issue. I thought the quicker twist would stabilize the faster slugs better, but maybe thats not right. Regardless I would love to have a 99. We'll find a load it shoots some how!!

Dakota-
If I could scrape together the discretionary cash, had the mortage paid off, the college fund full and a few things for the wife and a restored 68 cougar THEN believe me I would have a "beater" 250 Savage built on a Savage action!! :grin: and maybe a Prairie Poodle version with a big pipe and maybe a "brush gun" in a 99 and one of those Ruger RSI's and a Model seven from the Rem. custom shop (it was chambered last year) and.....Some day maybe!! and if not I'll enjoy the one I have. Its an FN Mauser so I cant complain. Please let me know what you decide. CL

Dakota-
A couple years ago I hesitated to long over an old Savage "long action" that wore a 22-250 barrel. $200.00 ans I missed it but that was the plan. It would have been the perfect "switch Barrel" for when I wanted to shoot amo off the shelf. Do you need a Short action to make it work?
There is a also a Savage shooters forum that had all kinds of barrel and building info. Maybe try a search, put a Limbsaver pad and a MZbrake on that thing and youve got a super winner that will "bark" like a JD's big bore :lol: CL

Just an update. Last weekend the weather was perfect! 50 Degrees and a 5-10 Mph crossing head wind. Good enough. So I shot the group in the center of the photo 3 shots (@90 yards). The new recipie shoots good enough to keep when Im not shivering so much!

35 Grains of 4064 under a 100 gr NBT. Three shots. :grin:
Dcp02526.jpg

The group on the left side was 40 grains of 4350. The recipie theat gave me so much trouble that I bought a new Leuy!! Oh well love the Luey. Back that load back down to 38 grains and it will work too! Good example of the right load and the difference it makes.
Fun too! CL

PS- I got a Stevens short action now too! some day I'll have Savage screw a barrel on it chambered in THE calibre :grin: :grin:

I not suggesting this, but I had a friend in Estes Park years ago that slew a bunch of elk with a 250. He eventually moved up to a big gun. That being a .25-06, still slaying elk...............

yes, especially years ago, folks took the 250 after everything. I like the cal. beyond all others but even I wouldnt go after an Elk w/ one. They would do it....until they didnt. Elk is a big critter. Period. CL

Well, after SIX YEARS, I figured I would post a recent update. My original post was about the 250 Savage for my son's first deer rifle; he is now 8 years old.
Last Friday, I went to Spokane looking for a Trapdoor Springfield carbine reproduction...had $850 in my pocket that took WAY TOO LONG to save. Was looking around in one of the gunshops when something caught my eye....a Ruger RSI(Mannlicher-style stocked carbine). Upon closer examination I saw "250 Savage" stamped on the barrel!!! It was NIB and I knew $700 was a fair price, but I had to ponder for a few minutes, but never let go of the rifle.
Needless to say, boxed away in my gun room closet is a gorgeous 250 savage just waiting for my son to get older. A neat side story...this gun was a mistake by Ruger for Lipsey's. It was supposed to be a shiny stainless, but Ruger accidently made some in matte stainless. So, it turns out, my son's rifle is a 1 of 98!!!

Jim

Glad it finally worked out for you and your boy, the 250 Savage will be a great gun for him for sure. I believe Cariboo on the forum also has a gun just like yours, they are definitely beautiful guns.

Edit
Yes, it was him.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21329

dakotaelkslayer":28h90f7k said:
Needless to say, boxed away in my gun room closet is a gorgeous 250 savage just waiting for my son to get older. A neat side story...this gun was a mistake by Ruger for Lipsey's. It was supposed to be a shiny stainless, but Ruger accidently made some in matte stainless. So, it turns out, my son's rifle is a 1 of 98!!!

Jim

Very neat account, Jim. It's great to see you posting again. Hope to see some more as you tell us about your elk hunts.

I enjoyed re-reading this post, digesting all of CL's info and seeing his terrific pronghorn all over again. He has educated me about the .250 Savage!

Congrats on finding a unique hunting rifle that could well serve the young man for his entire lifetime. I really like those RSI style Rugers - and in a sweet shooting little cartridge like the .250 Savage... EXCELLENT!

Ruger makes enough of those "mistakes" with some really neat rifles sneaking out, that I've a feeling someone on the shop floor really likes making "cool" rifles and sending them out the door time to time!

Guy

My Dad still shoots on ein Savage 99 for deer. His is one of the older 1-14" twist ones though and will not stabilize bullets of 100 grains and heavier. So he shoots the Sierra 87 grain Pro-Hunters right at 3000 fps for deer and it performs magnificently. All the deer I have seen him shoot with it were down right there. Its basically recoiless, I have shot a few coyotes with it and think you could hardly make a better choice for a youngsters first rifle. :) Good hunting!

Savage makes and sells the Model 30 still, chambered for the .250-3000. I owned a Model 70 Winchester, Pre 64, Pre War, .250 Savage. The rifle had been modified and was not a collectors item. I hunted with it for 3-4 years in California for Black Tail and Mule Deer. I took it to Wyoming and killed a bunch of prairie dogs and two mule deer with it at about 200 yards using Partition 100 gr bullets.

I also have owned two .257 Roberts rifles and still own one. The .250 Savage does not have a lot of powder space for long bullets and I used the 100 gr Partition in it loaded to about 2900 fps. The powder which worked best for me was IMR 4064 with the 100 grain bullets in the .250-3000. The .250 is a good deer caliber to about 300 yards or so with the 100 grain bullet.

The advantage of the .257 Roberts over the .250-3000 is powder space and velocity. The Roberts can easily handle bullets up to 115 grains without losing too much powder space and bullet velocity. My favorite bullet for the .257 Roberts is the 110 grain AccuBond. Depending on your rifle's mgazine length and freebore, this bullet can easily be pushed to 3000 fps in the Roberts with modern rifles that can handle normal SAAMI presures. The Nosler factory loaded 110 grain AccuBond ammunition clocks at 3060 fps in my 24 inch barrelled .257 Roberts. My handloads with the 110 grain AccuBond clock about the same as the Nosler factory loads in my chronograph.

Recoil in both rifles is close. The Roberts probably has a litle more recoil than the .250-3000 but in a full sized bolt action rifle, I can not tell the difference. Both calibers have a reputation for very good accuracy.

Back