Anyone Use An RCBS HAND Neck Turner.. Have Some Questions..

Deep Creek Rock

Beginner
Sep 22, 2012
Hi all,

I picked up an RCBS Hand Neck Turning Tool, and case holder. This is the model that is NOT attached to the case trimmer. It looks like this:

s7_216308_999_02

Im having issues getting it to work - I suspect the micrometer on it is bad. If I loosen the lock down screw for the cutter head, and turn the micrometer after zeroing it - the cutter does not move (and yes the spring is installed over the cutter shaft).

Is this normal for this tool, or am I doing something wrong ? I would think that the cutter head should move with the micrometer when turning it?

The instructions that came with it are kinda vague.

oneshot":j3v992rn said:
I see a second lock screw above the cutter....?

The one on top is to lock down & adjust the caliber specific pilot/mandrel. The other screw is to lock down the cutter, once you set it. The problem Im having is that the cutter wont move when I turn the micrometer knob, and the lockdown screw is loose.

I suspect you are trying to cut too much all at once.

Try this, Loosen the cutter, lube the mandrel, push the case mouth over the mandrel and make sure the case turns freely. Tighten the cutter a little bit, and perform a cut, repeat until you get to the desired neck thickness. I usually take at least two passes to get to the thickness I desire.

Is there a screw inside the micro knob? Or you have the adjustment too much and you can't turn the case across the cutter like antelope said

There is a screw in the micrometer- I checked it.

I can turn the cutter shaft all the way in to the mandrel - with no case on it, and set the micrometer to zero, and lock down the brass ring- as stated in the manual.

The problem is when I go to turn the micrometer knob to set my neck thickness cut - the cutter does not back out at all - with the hold down screw backed off loose It stays all the way flush to the pilot/mandrel. It does matter if the cutter is set to cut .0005" to .015 - the cutter does not move with the micormeter knob. I cannot get any brass onto the pilot mandrel, because the cutter wont back off with the micrometer.

I can back off the whole cutter shaft, and the cutter will move back then - but I cannot dial in the amount I want to trim it too.

Sounds like it's time to call RCBS. You may have a defective unit.
I suspect their customer service will take care of you in short order.

Back