At the police range yesterday!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
It was a good day at the range yesterday. I set up a "combat" course, challenging I thought.

Had cardboard targets to be shot, as close as arm's reach, then a variety of steel targets, droppers, pepper poppers, dueling tree and a couple of silhouettes at different ranges. This was a shoot 'n move course, very dynamic. Pleased with my own time and score, I carefully explained the course to a young officer and fellow firearms instructor.

With his .45 ACP Glock 21 he cleaned the course, about six seconds faster than the next fastest run! And he made it look smooth & easy. Had one near-miss, one bullet struck right on the edge of a steel pepper popper, but knocked it down anyway. Everything else was a solid hit. OUTSTANDING! I don't even move that fast...

We also put new night sights on his personal 9mm Glock 19. Glad I could do something for him, I obviously can't teach him much about shooting. Grumble, grumble. Kids these days.... Grrrr... :grin: If and when I retire, I'm hoping that he'll be selected to take over the firearms training program at the department. But I'm in no hurry for that to happen, so Speedy is going to have to wait a bit.

One thing I've noticed in all these years of firearms training. It's the shooter, not the tool so much. His box-stock, department issue Glock 21 did a superb job, in his hands. Another officer, a good, competent shot who often shoots a perfect score on a more standard PPC style course, using a personally owned .45 Kimber 1911 also went through the same course. He couldn't touch the time & score turned in by "Speedy." Neither could I. I can get the accuracy, but I simply don't move that smooth and fast. And I designed and set up the doggone course!

Train hard, and remember, there's always someone out there who's better.

Guy

Good reminder, Guy. Of course, it's always good to see younger people keeping the faith.

I always tell the young guys on my team "old age and treachery trumps youth and abilities". Its hard to keep them humble sometimes.

Sounds like a fun setup. I know what you mean. I have to shoot my butt off to keep up with my youngest officer. Good thing is he keeps me on my toes.

Larry

Well, since I posted originally I have retired and he has taken over the dept firearms program. Awesome!

Yeah, I'm still not as fast as he is. Starting to wonder if I ever was... Still have him on accuracy, but not by much the last time I checked. Doggone youngsters... :grin:

It's good to know that the dept firearms training program is in good hands.

Guy

Nice to know you have a competent successor.
In case I hadn't said so, congratulations on your retirement...and thanks!

Congratulations Guy on your Retirement.. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do. However i do miss the commeraderie with the fellow officers.Lee

Back