Apr 6, 2006
At our local airport today!

jsWoFG2h.jpg

TbJ3INEh.jpg

eXdcedqh.jpg

wAphYeih.jpg

gVcbzICh.jpg

Regards, Guy

As lovely as modern technology is, there is a distinctive beauty about the old war-horses that delivered the goods to the enemy during the 1940s. Thanks for the pictures, Guy.

At our local airport today!

jsWoFG2h.jpg

TbJ3INEh.jpg

eXdcedqh.jpg

wAphYeih.jpg

gVcbzICh.jpg

Regards, Guy
Guy, my son is the Chief engineer on the "Aluminum Overcast", a B17 Bomber that does tours all over the country. It's down for repairs right now in Florida so he is now filling in as Chief Engineer on a B25 "Twin Tail" Billy Mitchell Bomber. He's been doing this for a number of years and really enjoys it. I had the opportunity on two different occasions to take a flight on the B17. You would be amazed at how smooth and quiet they are.

Guy, were they selling rides? I know the next time they hit Tucson I'm gonna do a ride in one of those birds. Wr get the B17, B25 and a P51 Mustang. I'd love to do the Mustang but last time they were here it was $2,500 for 30 minutes. Probably be the shortest 30 minutes of my life.
Paul B.

That is cool!

I was fascinated by planes when I was young, and although my interest trailed off when I found certain practical limits to learning about them, I have really enjoyed the two opportunities that I have ever had to see old airplanes in person. Once was at an air show when I was very young, I have a picture of me sitting in an Apache helicopter from that day right next to me as I'm typing, and the other time was at an indoor airplane museum in Texas when I was perhaps 13 or 14 which I enjoyed immensely and remember much better.

The museum had old retired fighter pilots on their staff, and I enjoyed being greeted by one of the Veteran's stories of flying an EA-6 Prowler.

They also had one of the oddest planes I had ever seen, known unofficially as the "Pancake." It was the only one and I believe it flew once, if I'm not mistaken, but it was not a successful design.

If you ever get to Tucson, check out the Pima Air Museum. Some indoor and some outdoor
Do it in either the spring or late fall. Ain't much fun in the summer.
Paul B.

Most likely on their way somewhere from the big show Oshkosh. Great photo. Glad I don’t have to foot the bill at the gas pump.

Great photos Guy. That B-17 was featured in a "don't mess with Texas" ad years ago. When I was a kid we visited the Confederate Air Force in Harlingen for air shows.

Back