Bad batch of nosler brass??

kenaiking

Beginner
Jul 10, 2008
Well I hate to make this my first post but I have been a looker for a long while. For some reason my account got missed by admin, No biggie really.

Well here is my problem. I have been a fan of nosler for a long while. When they announced they were going to start making brass I was pretty excited. When my local shop started to stock the 30.06 brass I decided to buy 4 boxes and neck them down for my 25-06AI. Well they necked down great and were very very consistent in weight.

Now for the not so great part. 75% of the primer pockets have not made it past the first loading. I'm fire forming with RE15 (44gr) and 85gr B-Tips then my load is 57gr of RE22 with a 100 B-Tip. This is a very low pressure load for my rifle. I have run up to 61grs of RE22 in Winchester brass.

Its really a bummer because the brass is nice and I hate throwing it away after one firing. I have read this a couple places on the net and talked to nosler about it. Nosler told me to send in a few cases, which I did but I never heard back. I have read this a few other forums as well.

My question is has anyone else had this problem in other calibers or is nosler brass just soft?? Maybe they had a bad lot??

I recently had a similar problem with Federal .223 brass. I thought maybe it was bad primers ect, switched to WIN brass and the problems went away....

I've just recently started loading NC brass in 264 win. Seems great so far, very uniform and nicely formed. The rifle is tight throated/chambered, runs high pressures as a result. I had no issues so far after firing the first box once. I blew out a neck, but that was from accidentally nicking it with a neck turner.
CC.

I had the same problem with the 300 rum brass. Most of the the primers would fall out on the 2nd firing.

Seems like this is a problem that nosler should know about? Im kinda tired of throwing away 75 cents on every shot.

I've played with nosler brass in a couple cartridges and NOT found the primer pockets to be a problem.
For those of you that had a problem what was the difference in chrono readings between your "old faithful" and the new nosler brass.
I have had pocket problems with hornady 300 wby brass. My gun really likes it but, push a 180 to 3250 fps and pooof there goes the pocket when all other brass lets me do that without a wimper.

Running 3350 with 57 gr of RL22 with the nosler brass and 59.5 at 3500 in the winchester brass.

kenaiking

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what the problem is but Nosler will make it right with you.
I have given them the heads up.

JD338

Thanks, I will give them another call. Is there someone particualar I should talk to . I was really kinda bummed out. I went out and shot my wifes .243 which is using nosler brass and its on its 3rd load with no issues. Thats what lead me to beleve it was a bad batch.

Well a little update. Talked with John in customer service. He told me he would look into it last monday. Still waiting for the call back but I feel pretty good they will make it right.

Just cracked open my 4th and final box of the .06 stuff. If this one is bunk I think im going to order up some lapua brass. Sorry nosler :cry:

I'll shoot an email off to John and remind him, he's filling in for Mike Harris so he's doing double duty which might explain the delay.

As with any manufacturing process, bad stuff can sneak through occasionally so we do our best to correct it when it's discovered.

I have no doubt you guys will get er' done. I under stand stuff can happen. I always look at it as how a company deals with it that makes the difference. I have nothing but excellent service from nosler so im pretty sure the outcome will be good. John was great on the phone.

Most of all I just wanted to bring it to your attention as I have read this more than a few times. My biggest complaint is you still dont have 25-06 brass :) It sucks to have to throw away a piece of brass after you necked it down, turned the neck, trimmed to length, sized, fireformed, sized, prepped, cleaned, loaded and now it goes in the trash :)

Oh how I love my ackley :) Rifle loony I am.

I'll bet you see 25-06 brass before too long--there are so many guys asking for it that it's got to be on the list. Next year maybe? The year after? We'll keep our fingers crossed. :grin:

Well still no love from Nosler but I think I found part of the problem. I opened my last box of the 200 I bought initially. I started by sorting them which were all great. Next I neck sized them down with my .270 neck die then the rest of the way down to .257 with the FL 25-06rem die. Neck I trimmed the brass and turned the necks. I usually use the ram to prime but decided to use the hand primer so I could feel the primer seating. Well about every third piece of brass the primer sliped right in with no pressure. So I think that the pockets are over sized from the beginning. I even tried a different primer thinking it might be the 210's. Same thing.

Do you think its possible the primer pockets are being drilled over sized?

Im kinda intrested to see what the deal with the 06 brass is. I have been shooting the .243 brass with no problems. Im in the process or building a .223AI and was scared of the nosler brass. I know they were selling a bunch of 2nds on the nosler site so I wonder if this came from the same lot before it was deemed 2nds?

Back