Bad weather scope -

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
I typically use one of two scoped for my hunting rifles.
Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 or a Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 for the longer range (270 & 300 WSM) rifles.

I use Leupold flip up covers for the rainy days, but I still get some fogging on the outside of the rear lenses if I carry the rifle close to my body.

Any ideas on preventing? Hold the rifle further away.

I had a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10 for a short while. It has the "RainGuard" but it weighs more and is longer than the Leupold.

What other scopes do people use on their "bad weather" days.

I love my Bushnell 3200s with Rainguard. I can tell you that Zeiss now puts "Lotutec" on their scopes, which is a similar compound to RG. So similar, in fact, that Zeiss licensed RG for their products a few years ago, and ceased further development of an anti-fog coating - in, I can only assume, an attempt to avoid patent infringement lawsuits downrange. So, if you like the Conquest, you might try one of the newer models with Lotutec coatings.

But, ultimately I like the Bushnell Elite glass. I don't find it heavy or unbalancing on the rifles on which I have Elite scopes. One of these is even my Colt Light Rifle, which is sub-6.5lbs to start with, and would be susceptible to balance shift by a heavier scope. You might also consider a smaller Elite scope than the 2.5-10. A 2-7 or 3-9 would be smaller and lighter, as would, possibly, the 1.25-8x32 Elite 6500, though heavier than most small scopes, being a 30mm tube.

Swarovski ownes the patent for chemically bonding the same waterproof coating on optics that Bushnell and others use on license from Swarovski.

I didn't have any issues with the Minox's fogging at all.. They were soaked and left outside for 7 days straight.

DSCN0126.jpg

I just use Butler Creek scope covers and leave my rifle in the truck overnight. I also carry the rifle barrel down with my arm and sleeve over the action in bad weather. This, plus electricians tape over the muzzle. Living in Washington, I hunt in the rain more ofter than not.

Back