Ballistic profile turrets?

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
Is there someone that produces specialty turrets for rifle scopes, Leupolds mostly? I can provide muz. vels., barrel lengths, bullet wts. and B.C. for my loads.

Jim

Yes. The young fellow who accompanied us on our bear hunt in 2010 had a Kenton elevation knob on his scope, on a 7mm Rem mag. He spotted a bear on a ridge above us, working her way down.

I ranged it at 500, then 485, he twisted the dial real fast and made a hit with the first hurried shot. Dropped her instantly with a spine hit, although it didn't kill her. She tumbled down into a ravine, and he followed up, killing her at about 10' when she came at him in the thick stuff.

He had a pretty exciting morning... Point is, those things can work real well, even in a hurry.

I think the Leupold custom shop will make them for you as well.

Or you can just learn your "come ups" and count clicks the way I do.

Guy

Leupold will make them for CDS scopes, not sure about the older ones. They can also convert an older scope to the CDS system as I've had them do on a couple. I've also done some online research on Kenton Industries as a cheaper alternative and never found a bad review. Now that I finally have some 90gr accubonds for my 6mm I plan to try one of their turrets as soon as I can get a load worked up that it really really likes.

One thing I haven't liked about any of those "ballistic turrets" is that they're very specifically tailored for one cartridge, one bullet, at one velocity - and at a certain altitude & conditions.

That stuff all changes, so I just stick with the good ol' target turrets and my drop chart - since I'd have to compensate for altitude or a different bullet or whatever anyway.

For instance - normally at my home range here in Wenatchee Washington, at about 1200' - I need 15 MOA of elevation to go from my 100 yard zero to the 600 yard bullseye with a 168 grain match bullet from Sierra or Nosler and my .308 Win match rifle.

However there are times, like when it's really hot, that I only need 14.5 MOA for 600 yards. Even with "temperature insensitive" powders...

Or if I substitute a slicker bullet with a higher BC... I won't need as much elevation dialed in either.

Now, if I take that same rifle hunting for elk, in say Wyoming... At say 10,000' elevation, and yes, that's realistic, once again I need less elevation dialed into the scope... All these things and more impact how much elevation is needed.

The Ballistic Turrets do allow a shooter to select a couple of "clicks" either way to compensate for those conditions - so that's good. It's really all the same thing - dialing the correct elevation on the scope for the conditions - just slightly different ways of accomplishing it. I've been dialing "one, two, three, One MOA. One, two, three, Two MOA... etc.. for so long now it's natural.

In The Corps our snipers used the fixed 10x scope with ranges on what would now be called a "ballistic profile" turret - and they too could adjust a couple of clicks either way to compensate for different conditions.

I guess what I'm saying - is don't accept that you can simply turn the turret to "6" and expect to hit exactly dead on at 600 yards in any conditions. Ya still gotta drive the rifle.

Regards, Guy

Good point Guy and that is why I would rather just have a plain old Target Turret or MOA dial such as what the CDS is stock. I don't mind building the drop chart and it is easy to have a couple loads for the rifles with a different chart made up. I think the turrets made for a specific cartridge or load seems a little limiting, but they are the rage right now..

If more folks came out with a CDS turret for windage and elevation in 1/4 minute, just exposed like the CDS, they would sell alot of scopes. Seems kinda odd to add a CDS elevation dial and not have something for windage.

You're speaking my language, Guy. It requires a bit more work, but I manage to get the job done.

Guy and Scotty, I agree that at long range there are other issues (coriolus, earth curvature and even earth's rotation) which affect bullet trajectory and especially vectoral air currents. I would rather have a range card or book to compute anything that approaches some sniper estimation at 1 kilometer or more targets.

Back