Ballistic Tips on Elk

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
I have killed a few elk with 180 BT's and never had a problem, in fact they have all been DRT. Well my son tried them in his new 300 WSM this year on his bull elk and tried the high in the shoulder shot, this is not a good idea, as his bullet came apart! His follow up shot was a running lung shot that put the bull down in fine fashion. My point is if you use a bullet in this class (non Partition, non bonded, non solid copper) don't shoulder shoot. Shoulder shots to me are for Barnes X, Nosler E-tip type of bullet. For me, I still shoot the lungs because it kills fast and I don't eat lung steak!

The BT's will work on elk, especially from a standard caliber (30-06 etc). Partitions and accubonds are cheap insurance and they do work well.

Same here, I like to shoot shoulders, as it hammers game and they don't step out of their tracks. The 180gr BT looks pretty stout, but Pop is right, you cannot go wrong with the AB or PT for the Magnums! Scotty

I have used the BT's a lot for deer and elk, but you can't always pick your shot and distance. The 180 BT was only going 2900 on my son's 300 WSM, but at 150 yds it failed to penetrate the shoulder bone, the elk would have got away if not for the quick follow up shot to the lungs. If you want, I'll get a picture of the pieces of bullet to post! All I'm saying is "if you must use the shoulder shot, use the proper bullet for the job". My go to bullets for elk have been the AB's for several elk now just because I can't always pick my shot!On another note, if he had killed the elk with that first shot, he still lost all the meat on that shoulder!

I'm a big fan of the AB. I havn't shot the bt in anything other than my 243 for yotes for the last seven of so years. Going to try the 140 Bt in my 280 AI for deer. Would never think of using them in that gun for elk.

Like POP said, the Pt or Ab ar pretty cheap insurance. They do cost a bit more, but if the follow up shot was not good, we would be talking about a lost elk, and bullet failure. Worth the few extra bucks just for the piece of mind.

If you start shopping for Nosler 2nds at the Shooters Pro Shop, you can really stay in quality bullets for a fraction of the cost of buying them in boxes off the shelf. I hardly shoot anything but them and have not had an issue. Scotty

I was told a long time ago (to me any way) not to use BT's in my 300 winny for Elk. I didnt quite understand why at the time but I took the guys word for it and bought PT's that day. now In my my sons 300 winny I use AB's and the same goes in my 300 RUM and 7 mmRem Mag. I still have some 180 pt's I'll use in my 06 for deer but I am switching that to 165 AB's as well. about the only thin left is a 243 that will always be using BT's I guess.

Old man

Your experience is pretty much what if have been told about the BT. (Charlie and Dr Mike can correct me if I am worng on theis one) they are constructed similar to the standard Sierra, Speer, or other non premimum bullets. They have not belt, bonding nor heavier cores, not necessarily the best for game but accurate and best used for targerts and small game.

In my experience it is very hard to beat partitions, Not that AB are not very good bullets. The 140 grain AB is my go to bullet for the 7mm-08. However when it comes to smashing bone and putting critters down I know I can count on the PTs do get the job done.

Have to admit I nosed around the E-tips because I thought that there might be a bit of a long range advantage and even better penatration. In the end my rifle, powder, and the 180 grain e-tips did not play well togather. After careful reflection not sure that it is that big of a loss.

Side note: Filled my deer tag with a porky forky whitetail. Should never go hunting the morning after eating deer steak from a small meat buck. The culinary quality of my wife's deer can only be exceeded by high quality grain fed beef. I am extremely picky about my meat. Ironically my deer also had the left horn broken off at the base just like my wife's. Not much there to hang on the wall but we will eat well this winter.

My main target was elk so I was packing my 30-06. The little buck was facing me at about 100 yards. I shot him in the neck because (learned the hard way) that had I shot him in the chest with the 180 grain PT it would have cruised right through the chest cavity, tore through the guts and exited the hind quarters making a huge mess and ruining lots of meat. Dropped him in his tracks even though I missed the spine (off hand and a bit awkward).

180Bal-Tip.jpg

Here is the bullet that came from the bull's shoulder.

Old man, that is from the near side shoulder? Just wondering seems like a varmint grenade. Either way, glad your boy was able to get a proper shot and put the elk down. Scotty

I also vote for accubonds for darn near everything. I've recovered them from muleys, elk, rocks, dirt, and haybales at ranges from 30yds to 600 and they all retained over 50% of their weight. Most were shot from magnums at ranges over 300yds and they retained 65-75%, pretty darn good. I've never had poor performance from a Partition either, but I prefer the higher BC of the AccuBond.

Beretz; Yes, this was recovered from the near shoulder where it stopped against the shoulder bone.

Man, that is pretty poor performance for a 180gr BT. I would have never guessed it couldn't get through a near side shoulder. Scotty

Scott, You hunt long enough you will see just about every bullet's integrity compromised one way or another.

I have a buddy who uses the same 30 cal 180 BT at 3300 fps plus from a 300 rum sendero. He has shot elk under 100 yards and never recovered a one.

And look at the same bullet here!

:shock:

Back