Ballistics Gel

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hello All,
Anyone out there use ballistics gel? I use the old wet newspaper technique but it's a pain to get the papers, soak, carry, clean-up, etc and I'm not getting all the information I want. I was thinking about trying some gel. I know the "real stuff" is expensive but I was thinking about working up some homemade gel. Anyone have any experience with this?
Mike

TScottW99":lbffbwuj said:
You might want to check out the bullet tube. It is a type of wax and can be reused over and over. http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

Gellatin is really a pain. You have to have the right temps, storage etc....

I 2nd the Ballistics Tube. The little I`ve heard it is heads above the gel for ease of use. Gallon water bottles lined up work as well as wet paper and are easier to pack in and clean up, but you only get 1 shot / bottle.

I have used wet phone books and it works well, just a mess to deal with when you are finished.
I now use 1 gal milk jugs filled with water. Line up 7-8, depending on what you are shooting and you will recover the bullet in one of the last juggs. 30-06 class calibers are usually in jug #6, 338 RUM is usually in #8.
Easier clean up and you can weigh the bullets without having to pick away paper.

JD338

The bal.gel. is also messy. You only get one shot then have to make & transport more. Water jugs a re ok, again, only one shot & you need way too many to test a couple bullets. I still like wet phone books. Easy to handle, consistant, offers about the same expansion as water or bal.gel. & you can shoot 3-4 rifle shots if you are carefull. Clean up is easy if you pack them into copy paper boxes, just toss in the recycle bin. Each copy paper box holds approx. 18" of wet phone books. You'll need at least that for most expanding rifle bullets & upto 24" for heavier magnum bullets.

Back