barnes expander mz

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Just wondered if anyone has ever tried these. I have had exceptional accuracy and performance with the Hornady SST .40 cal bullet in my .45 Omega, but have always wondered about the Barnes muzzleloader bullets.

My only experience with Barnes was a 44 cal 200 gr solid copper HP from my 50 cal M700ML. I shot a big WT doe at 18 yds tight behind the shoulder hitting the leg on the off side. I knocked her off her feet, she got up and ran off. I never recovered that deer, I think due to no exit wound. That day I resighted with 250 gr PT's and shot another doe that evening.

I'm a Nosler guy, always get a nice big exit with the PT's.

JD338

They look good but man are they pricey. I think I will stick with the hornady and Noslers.

I shot two deer a week and a half ago with Barnes TMZs (essentially MZ Expanders with a plastic tip) in 250 gr. Both deer had good exit wounds, good blood trails and piled up with 20yds of where there were shot. Damage inside the chest cavity as perfect - lungs turned to jelly and the heart into hamburger. This was an anterless hunt so the deer weren't real big, but I'm very happy with the performance I've seen.

Cornfield SWO":2ev8xn86 said:
Damage inside the chest cavity as perfect - lungs turned to jelly and the heart into hamburger.

I love fried heart. :(

JD338

I have tried heart several different ways and have yet to find a way that tastes good. If you have secret recipe, Id love to hear it!

Back