Barnes TSX, any leads?

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
I’ve been looking for one box of the Barnes .30 Cal. 168gr. Original TSX for about a month and a half now, does anyone have any idea where there might be some available? My little sister drew her first buck tag on ranching for wildlife (lucky) but the opportunity for her to kill a 180” buck isn’t out of the question as the ranch she drew on offers a guide for free to first time hunters, pretty freaking awesome for them to do that. she’s barrowing my .308 Win and went and checked and I’ve got about 25 loaded rounds and 14 more unloaded Bullets :shock: hoping to get my hands on 50 more but those suckers have been harder to find than unicorns. Thanks in advance!

.300winmag":1dkokwqn said:
I’ve been looking for one box of the Barnes .30 Cal. 168gr. Original TSX for about a month and a half now, does anyone have any idea where there might be some available? My little sister drew her first buck tag on ranching for wildlife (lucky) but the opportunity for her to kill a 180” buck isn’t out of the question as the ranch she drew on offers a guide for free to first time hunters, pretty freaking awesome for them to do that. she’s barrowing my .308 Win and went and checked and I’ve got about 25 loaded rounds and 14 more unloaded Bullets :shock: hoping to get my hands on 50 more but those suckers have been harder to find than unicorns. Thanks in advance!
These guys say they have 95 in stock. I haven’t used them, but that’s all that showed up in the AmmoSeek app.

ee9fdaa209aa5005a7985b8ce168b5b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop22250":312vv3x8 said:
.300winmag":312vv3x8 said:
These guys say they have 95 in stock. I haven’t used them, but that’s all that showed up in the AmmoSeek app.

Thank you, Sir! I’m attempting to place an order now!! I’ll keep these guys in mind!

.300winmag":xaovlqt9 said:
coop22250":xaovlqt9 said:
.300winmag":xaovlqt9 said:

Thank you, Sir! I’m attempting to place an order now!! I’ll keep these guys in mind!
Yes sir, AMMOSEEK does powder, primers, ammo, bullets, guns in stock. Primers are all gone right now, but if it’s around, the app will find it

coop22250":2kf5k9dd said:
.300winmag":2kf5k9dd said:
coop22250":2kf5k9dd said:
.300winmag":2kf5k9dd said:

Yes sir, AMMOSEEK does powder, primers, ammo, bullets, guns in stock. Primers are all gone right now, but if it’s around, the app will find it

Good to know, didn’t know about the app before. I have a feeling I will become very familiar with it tho :mrgreen:

168 gr with the 308?
From experience, I would go lower.
150 or even 130 gr.
They need speed to open up.
130 worked well on large boar. I would imagine it will be great on deer. Well. Aktuelly I know it is.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":2xywcomg said:
168 gr with the 308?
From experience, I would go lower.
150 or even 130 gr.
They need speed to open up.
130 worked well on large boar. I would imagine it will be great on deer. Well. Aktuelly I know it is.

Yes I was thinking 168 could be a bit slow to open, but as a new hunter my guess is they will be pretty close, so the velocity should be well above 2000 at impact. I wouldn’t be shooting that one real far, as a pencil hole is more likely the closer you get below 2000 FPS.

I am using lead free for about 10 years now and they need speed. On the other hand, since they loose little or no weight, they go deep even with lighter bullets.
In 308 I do not go higher than 150, a friend is happy with 130. If shots are close, 168 will probably work. But not better than the lighter ones.
A mistake with lead free over here was that people did not go lighter and ended up with longer recoveries. Try lighter. You won't be disappointed

Always been a fan of heavier Bullets. Before this I was shooting 180’s out of it, and they were doing 2,780. Tried the 168’s Barnes first, they shot well and they have killed everything I’ve used them on. I limit shots to 400 yards, MV is 2,740 from my gun, at 400 yards velocity is still over 2,000fps, should be fine, and has been, last deer I shot with this gun was at 412 yards and he made it ten feet. If I need to reach further I’ve got better rifles for that. The .308 is just a great close mid range, accurate rifle, and it’s not excessively long so going thru brush isn’t as big a pain as my other rifles. But honestly never given the 150’s or 130’s a go. For elk I feel better with more mass, even if it is a Barnes.

We don't have elk-sized game here. Our red stags are the same family, but smaller.
I guess on large game, the heavier bullets have more resistance and time to open.
On 220 lbs boar (field-dressed) with massive shield, the 130 gr TTSX ended up under the hide with a picture-perfect mushroom. So I guess that is about the limit for 130 gr from a 308.
For thinner skinned deer no bullet was found so far.

I know your 168gr TSXs have worked, but the best thing about the mono metal bullets is you dont need to throw extra weight like you do with the cup and cores. For deer Id be using 130s and elk and up youd still be fine with no more than a 150 from your 308.

Id venture to say that a 130 TSX will leave a bigger hole because you'll gain much more in velocity.

If you cant find anymore of the 168s and your dead set on using a mono bullet, then you'll be safe to go with lighter weight bullet which you might find in stock easier.

With monos I like them tipped to help with expansion. A 130 TTSX is the same length as a 180 CoreLokt, lots of shank on a mono to drive. I’ve only shot whitetails but the 130 TTSX has proven unrecoverable. For elk I’d go 150 TTSX if I wasn’t comfortable with the 130’s.

Seems opinions are all leaning towards the lighter bullets.
Give them a try.
I would bet some money you won't be disappointed.

Back