to clean the barrel between brands of bullets, say Noslers, Hornady's
and Speer bullets, also If one changed powder brands, say IMR and
Hodgdon powders. Just curious what your thoughts are. :idea:

Reason for asking> I have shot some Hornady 150's & Nosler 150 AB's
on sunday.
PS ...Just completed 17 rounds... should I clean barrel to get out
all the copper?
Thoughts!! :arrow:

It is unecessary to clean the bore before/after shooting different bullet brands, except..... that it is a good idea to throughly clean the bore before switching to Barnes copper bullets which may not shoot well if conventional jacket material was left behind from other bullets.

Barnes bullets also tend to copper foul a bore significantly faster if they are fired in a bore that has copper fouling from conventional cup & core bullets.

There are also those that say the powder residue from one brand to another should be removed.
I take a boresnake to the range with me and run it through one swipe when I switch recipes for testing. NO...it doesn't clean perfectly but all bullets get to start with somewhat of an equal slate.
I also find that if I run the boresnake through one time at the end of the session with a warm barrel it seems to speed up cleaning when I get home.

If I were you, the only time I would worry is when I was switching to or from Barnes bullets, or to or from moly coated bullets, or to or from the Winchester/CT bullets with Lubalox.

Of course, I probably also over clean.

Back