BC for cast bullets?

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
Anyone know where I can find the BC for cast bullets? Specifically, I'm looking for a 200gr .358/.359, with hollow point. Like this:

35-200-RCBS-HP-gc-359.jpg

Not that I'll be shooting bench rest with it or anything, just want to calculate the bullet drop for my scope's holdover marks.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Not sure other than to shoot it. Maybe use a similar jacketed bullets BC to start out. How far do you plan to shoot it?

What h do is, go outside and pick up a rock. Now listen carefully because this is important. Make sure a good stiff wind is square in your face. Now throw that rock. Subtract 10 from whatever the rock got. Lol

I've used this for several cast bullets, it's been fairly close on a few out to 300yd.
I also second trying the Sierra 200gr RN (Midway shows it at .148 G1)

What are you shooting them outta? .358win? 35 Whelen? .35 Rem? I like me some 358s. I've got a custom Accurate mold I designed, that produces some 325gr Gas Checked and Coated 35 honkers. Happy and Safe Reloading & Shooting!

I've used this for several cast bullets, it's been fairly close on a few out to 300yd.
I also second trying the Sierra 200gr RN (Midway shows it at .148 G1)

What are you shooting them outta? .358win? 35 Whelen? .35 Rem? I like me some 358s. I've got a custom Accurate mold I designed, that produces some 325gr Gas Checked and Coated 35 honkers. Happy and Safe Reloading & Shooting!
I'm working on some loads for my Henry 360 Buckhammer. It looks like I found a node that's about 2250 fps, give or take a bit. You may recall that I reported some dissatisfaction with the Speer 180gr bullets I used for deer season last year, so I'm switching to these lead hollow points instead. Based on what I've heard from others, these bullets will expand much more readily for those boiler-room shots. Bullet tests to follow, once I get the load worked out.

Since a couple of you have suggested using the Sierra BC, here's a question that I can't answer:

The BC for the 200gr Sierra RN is listed as .148. But the BC of the 200gr Hornady RN Interlock is listed as .195. These bullets have the same sectional density and a very similar external profile. Why would there be such a huge difference (~25%) in BC?

Since a couple of you have suggested using the Sierra BC, here's a question that I can't answer:

The BC for the 200gr Sierra RN is listed as .148. But the BC of the 200gr Hornady RN Interlock is listed as .195. These bullets have the same sectional density and a very similar external profile. Why would there be such a huge difference (~25%) in BC?
The Sierra BC seems low to me. BC's are interesting as in addition to the physical dimensions and weight, one must also consider velocity and altitude.

JD338

Lyman 358315 round nose gas checked listed as 204 grain and BC 165. Lyman cast bullet handbook.
That's probably close enough. Thanks!

Just for kicks, I'll try using the calculator listed above and see what it comes up with.

When BC is that low, it don't matter too much to the ranges you are interested in taking it too.

That 360 BH seems like a wicked little rifle.

Back