Bear Down

It seems bear are quite similar to our boar.
The old ones are very careful and hard to get.
Old sows often circle downwind before going to a bait.
Only good thing is they have rather bad sight.
With moonlight, you can walk up to shooting range at night.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Hey well done! Congratulations! A fine shot to get the bear also it appears. (y)

That's a reality hunting shot, unlike the TV shows. Over the yrs I've missed my share of both running woods shots, and some running field shots, as well as connected on both types. Sometimes those connected running shots ended up being the only opportunity of the yr.

It was the shot I had, and I didn't want to miss in front of witnesses. :shock:

DrMike":y6p32dq3 said:
It was the shot I had, and I didn't want to miss in front of witnesses. :shock:

Ha. One of my more memorable running field shots involved two misses first. Memorable because it was the last deer I know of that I shot when my Dad happened to be with me.

I was a full grown adult, but was rattled after the 2 misses and my Dad knew it. At that point the deer were flat out digging. I can still remember that deep calm slow voice breaking in right after the second shot....."Take your time." I swung well ahead of the lead doe and at the shot she somersaulted with a shoulder hit. Funny, I was just thinking about that particular hunt in the last week even though it was years ago.

You know, years ago, my FIL took a good share of grief for taking and making running shots on deer. You see, he was never bashful about firing a couple "ranging shots" first. Earned him the un-flattering nick name of "Bambo Bill".
Any way, 3-4 years ago he dropped a running deer at 75+yds with a shot through the back of the neck. Following year he broke the neck of another in heavy brush when he "estimated" where the neck should be. Almost every year he accounts for one deer while trying to make sure that everyone else gets a chance. Including last year when we mourned the passing his a long time friend and hunting partner on opening morning.
Year before last he got together with the "younger fellas" to check the zero on our guns. I popped a four inch plate at 100 yds with my Mossberg, rifled barrel, 2-7 Leupold etc. He sat down next to me and popped the same plate w/ an open sighted, smooth bore 12ga Mossberg....

I wont "make you" take credit for a good shot.... but suspect experience and practice have something to do with it.... it isn't all luck I'm thinkin' :grin: Congrats on what sounds like a fine bear and a good time :) ! CL

Funny story coming out of this bear hunt. One of the lads asked at church this morning if I'd be willing to sell that 270 WSM. He wanted to come over after church and "just hold" that rifle for a while. I explained that any rifle is for sale to the right person. He and his two brothers (the sleepyhead managed to tag along today) handled about ever rifle in my safes. He settled on one and asked what I'd sell it for. Fortunately for me, it wasn't the 270 WSM, so I was somewhat generous. We talked price and finally appeared to settle on something we both could live with. He then asked if I'd throw in one hundred rounds of ammo. I told him I'd supply all components, but he'd have to do the loading himself. Looks like we have a deal, and I did keep the 270 WSM (for the moment). Oh, and one of his brothers fell in love with my old Ross 1905 .303 Brit. I may be missing that rifle tomorrow. Can't think of a better home for these rifles to go to than the home of those three men.

cloverleaf":1qjrjlw1 said:
I wont "make you" take credit for a good shot.... but suspect experience and practice have something to do with it.... it isn't all luck I'm thinkin' :grin: Congrats on what sounds like a fine bear and a good time :) ! CL

Thank you for your kind words, Troy.

DrMike":jlhaq9n1 said:
Let's see, how can I convince you? Fingers crossed? Scouts honour? Cross my heart and hope... (No, I'm too old for that to be acceptable.) Okay, if I'm lying I'm dying! And you and your good lady are welcome over here for sausage this winter, Gerry.

The farmer wanted all the bears off his fields, and on the other ranch (which you'd know quite well, Gerry) I've witnessed the large bear on has asked that I take all the bears off his fields since they do manage to snag a calf or two each spring. This is a large ranch with lots of cattle calving each spring. They are asking if there is some way I can drop a grizzly or two. Course, that ain't gonna' happen; but the bears are there, for sure.

I do remember that place well along with seeing the 11 bull elk within range and a cow elk permit in hand :lol:

DrMike":jlhaq9n1 said:
Funny story coming out of this bear hunt. One of the lads asked at church this morning if I'd be willing to sell that 270 WSM. He wanted to come over after church and "just hold" that rifle for a while. I explained that any rifle is for sale to the right person. He and his two brothers (the sleepyhead managed to tag along today) handled about ever rifle in my safes. He settled on one and asked what I'd sell it for. Fortunately for me, it wasn't the 270 WSM, so I was somewhat generous. We talked price and finally appeared to settle on something we both could live with. He then asked if I'd throw in one hundred rounds of ammo. I told him I'd supply all components, but he'd have to do the loading himself. Looks like we have a deal, and I did keep the 270 WSM (for the moment). Oh, and one of his brothers fell in love with my old Ross 1905 .303 Brit. I may be missing that rifle tomorrow. Can't think of a better home for these rifles to go to than the home of those three men.

Nice to hear they are going to good homes. Out of curiosity if you don't mind what did the young man go home with? Good thing your 270 WSM is staying with you, it appears to be a lucky rifle!

He is alternating between a 280 Rem and a 257 Roberts. Can't make up his mind, but promised to have made a choice by this coming weekend. I can assure you that whatever he chooses, he'll be very happy.

The 257 would be a nice deer round, that 280 would be a great all around cartridge. It will interesting to see how he chooses.

So good to see you helping them, even more so with reloading!
I had to learn it all by myself (and forums like this) and would have liked to look over someone's shoulder.
Now I am the one helping others get started, though I am far from being an expert.

Conserving running shots: if I remember correctly, in Sweden you to pass a test every year on a running moose-target at 100 m.

For us it is just 50 m on running boar, but only for the license, not every year.

My local range has a shooting cinema and that really helps, though the distance is fixed and only target size varies to simulate the distance.

DrMike":2rljnrly said:
I was toting my 270 WSM firing a 130 grain E-Tip. This particular rifle/load combination has accounted for moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear. It is common that only one shot is required. I have a lot of confidence in the rifle/load. We had driven up on a remote field and saw three or four whitetail does flag us as they bounded off the field. We parked and walked a few hundred yards to crest a hill to see if they might have stopped before entering into the tree line or if elk were present at that time. Looking to our right, we saw what we at first thought were ravens in the field about a kilometer away. The bears were feeding on oats that had not been harvested, and which the farmer has opted to leave this year. All we could see were the tufts of hair marking the tops of the heads of three bears. I suggested that we walk along the edge of the field to get a better look. I was convinced that these were bears. As we were walking, a large bear wandered out of the trees but quickly turned to go back into the woods. One of the young men said the bear must have been us. However, I argued that at that distance he wasn't concerned about us, but the dark objects we had seen must surely be bears. As we got within five hundred meters of so, it was obvious that I was correct. We worked out way to get a treed finger between us and the bears and continued to work out way closer. Eventually, I ranged the bear I took at two hundred fifty yards. He was only partially visible because of the standing oats. We had worked out way along the edge of the field to within about a hundred and fifty yards when the bruin became a bit cautious and began to edge toward the trees about fifty yards away from where he had been feeding. One of the young men stepped out and helped the bear make up his mind to boogie off the field. He hit the afterburner and made for the tree line. I lifted my rifle, swung and gently squeezed the trigger as I passed his head. There was a beautiful "whump" as the bullet smacked him as he was about seven or eight yards from the trees. Obviously, there was no recovery of the E-Tip as the wound channel was through-and-through. So, the 270 WSM struck again. I had carried my 325 WSM earlier and lined up on another bear, but didn't pull the trigger as I believed there was significant chance of wounding him. I had also carried my 350 Rem Magnum and my 9.3X64 Brenneke on other occasions, but never really had what I considered to be a clean shot in other instances. Any of those rifle/loads are confidence builders for me, but this was what was presented today, and I took the shot. I always amazes me how little blood there is with bears. Still, I'm looking forward to the summer sausage.

Dr. Mike, thank you for all the details. It is a great write-up. Again, congratulations.

Dan

Dr Mike, thank you for the particulars on the 270WSM and 7mmWSM!

Added them both to my recipe notebook.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":3qi24czr said:
I do remember that place well along with seeing the 11 bull elk within range and a cow elk permit in hand :lol:

Gerry, my first venture onto the ranch, I had three bulls in three different locations bugling. However, none ever showed themselves. Cows are wandering onto some of the fields, and I'm quite happy to take a cow. I did see one large bull about a km away, but by the time I worked my way over, he had drifted back into the bush. The weather turned brisk this weekend, and we had out first snow on Saturday. The chill may be enough to get the animals moving out of the bush and onto the farm land. Oh, and I do need another bear tag since there are still some big bears on that ranch.

Doc!
Congratulations! Awesome story and account of the hunt, and great to hear you’re helping and mentoring the next generation! I look forward to hearing how your elk season works out and if your young charges will be able to connect as well.
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":25abtxqi said:
Doc!
Congratulations! Awesome story and account of the hunt, and great to hear you’re helping and mentoring the next generation! I look forward to hearing how your elk season works out and if your young charges will be able to connect as well.
V/R,
Joe

Joe, the younger of the two young men had already tagged a 7X6 elk ten days before I hooked up with he and his brother for this hunt. Some years ago, I led him to take his first big game animal--a fine young bull moose. Since that time, he has become the primary supplier of meat for his mother and four siblings. He is actually a pretty good guide, and getting better with each passing year. He has a keen eye for game and is a pretty good shot in his own right. Since that first moose (only four years ago), he's accounted for moose, elk and mule deer for his family. He is a great young man, as are each of his brothers.

Way to go with those brothers!

My elder son is more for shooting than hunting. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe he gets the calling one day.
But his younger brother - well...
He's got it. I am looking forward to taking him out on his first kill.
He is one of those guys that loves animals, but knows that hunting is part of the greater shemes.

Two more years till he can get the license here.
But I am quite sure I can't keep him away from it even if I tried. Which I won't...

Doc,
That sounds like true mission accomplishment! This young man is producing, not only for himself, but for his family as well, and you can't ask for much more than that. That's a legacy to be proud of, my friend!
V/R,
Joe

Back