Bear Down

I am proud of these young men. Each is proving to be a real blessing as they mature and accept responsibility for their family. They are special men.

I didn't get back out this morning. I gave myself a mild concussion yesterday as I was cleaning out some items in a garden shed. I walked into a tire rack and nearly knocked myself unconscious. I've nursed a rather severe headache since them, fighting sleep throughout the afternoon yesterday and growing nausea. Other than lasting headache pain today, I think I past the worst of the symptoms. Still, not one of the brighter moves I've made in the past several years. At this rate, I'll soon sound like Joe whatisname when I try to speak.

You’ll still finish your sentences and thought.... wow. What an election!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea to take it slowly after hitting your head like that!
Get well soon, we want to read more!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Congratulations Dr Mike. Thanks for sharing. You are a blessing to those young men.
Duane

Dr. Mike we might just start calling you Carlos Hathcock of the north! That was a great shot. I've made a few excellent running shots on game over the years and just like you I really try to get those nice calm standing shots at unspoken animals, but sometimes a good running shot is all that presents itself.

My first big game animal was an antelope buck running all out broadside at about 70 yards. There was a doe antelope running with the buck and when I shot the poor girl happened to run directly on the other side of the buck. My ONE bullet took both the buck and the doe! 12 years old running antelope and two with one shot! Let's just say I was pretty excited. My father shot at exactly the same time and it sounded like one shot. He was bout 20 yard to the left of where I was standing and he shot a buck that was trailing behind and bringing up the rear. Two shots and three antelope dropped. Pretty good start to that fall season I just say. You know it too, I was using my 6mm REMINGTON to make this shot!

Interestingly enough, the only two animals I recall shooting when they were running flat out were bears. And both shots were in front of witnesses! That makes it all the sweeter for me. One of those bears was a large sow running off an oat field. She was about 250 yards away and I nailed her with a .356 Win Model 94 shooting a 250 grain Kodiak bullet. Then, there was this bear that was high-tailing it off another oat field at a lasered 130 yards. Honestly, I felt there was considerable luck in either shot. I don't particularly like taking a shot at a running animal, but in either case I recognised it was the only shot I had and I took it. I believe there was a measure of luck entailed in either shot. I do not set myself up as a crack shot, though I have pushed a fair amount of lead through a variety of rifles over the years of my life.

Consequently, the concussion put a damper on my hunting this week. I hope to be able to get out Monday to see if I can find an elk to share my dinner table. I just might see a moose or a whitetail, as well. In any case, I hope that I'm able to make it out since few of these graceful creatures occupy my lawn.

Wow, I have missed a couple of exciting adventures :wink:.
Congratulations Dr.Mike I have seen your shooting abilities and know that you would not take the shot unless you were confident (y).
It kinda sad though that you do not have any photos :( but thank you for the great story.
By chance did you do up the ribs on your Traeger :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I picked up salami and summer sausage along with a couple of smoked hams and come ground last evening. Still haven't tried any of this fine fare, but it is on the menu today. I think the game will be used for a planned potluck following church services this Sunday.

I just finished some of the salami and the summer sausage for breakfast (almost European!). It is fine fare prepared by a Swiss sausage maker. He did a good job. Now, to give some attention to the hams to see what we will do with them.

Back