Bear Fence

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Anyone used a bear fence?

Saw one at Cabela’s and thinking it might be handy. What y’all think? Worth the coin? Anyone have any reviews on one?

Think

No reviews on any in particular, they do work. Lot of folks out in King Salmon had them around their fish sheds and out buildings to keep the bears out. People who camp up at Katmai use them as well.
We did all our fish processing on the dock, then washed down. Fish carcasses were hauled down river away from camp and dumped in the middle of the river. After vacuum sealing fish the room was mopped down with bleach and the walk way between the dock and there was hosed down. Garbage hauled to town every couple of days.
We had bears in camp almost every day, the only time we ever had an issue was when we didn’t keep things cleaned up. It makes a difference.

If you smell like food something is bound to try to eat you.

I haven’t had any real issues when keeping a clean camp. Only times bears have been a problem was in large camps where people got careless with food and trash.

I don't have one, but have been considering one as I often camp in bear/grizzly country in a small tent near my Jeep.

Ran into a couple of Norwegians camping along the Tsiu river in Alaska. Serious bear country! They were fly fishing the silver salmon run and had an electric fence around their small tent. Good guys. Without something like that, I don't know if I would have camped as close to the river as they did... Lots of bears in that area during the salmon run for sure.

Tom Miner basin (no relation) north of Yellowstone... I camped there a couple of years ago. Again, lots of bears in the area. I was a tad nervous as I was the only camper in the whole campground! Goodness. Saw three grizz on my way out of there the next morning. I wonder if one passed near my little camp during the night while I was snoozing?

I can see a fence like that helping. It's inexpensive. I'd still keep a clean camp. :)

Have not used one, but I like the idea.

Guy

I have seen video and read about people using them around their tents, inflatable boats and planes when in bear country.
Most have had good results. Others have gad problems...but I think that it had to do with not installing the fencing properly and/or not keeping things clean. The one video, the bear went over the fence (not installed very high) and chewed on the tires and wing of the plane. They were grounded until parts could be flown in to repair the plane.
I have seen some various installation methods for electric fencing around crops and camps. The most effective have not been a single strand, but 2 strand configurations where the strands were at two different heights a couple of feet apart, and this deterred the animals from jumping over the single strand, and even the 2 strand erected on a single post. May mean a few extra posts and wire, but I believe that this would be the configuration I would use.

Having used single strand electrical fencing on bovines and equines, not my place or equipment, I demand at least three strands.

Replace the batteries every year. My steers got out again last night. Using a pasture on a neighbors so I’m using a solar powered unit. Damn battery wont make it through the night. Those boys are in for a rude awakening tomorrow.

Replace the batteries every year. My steers got out again last night. Using a pasture on a neighbors so I’m using a solar powered unit. Damn battery wont make it through the night. Those boys are in for a rude awakening tomorrow.
Shock therapy 😷

JD338

Back