Bear Hunting - Rifle vs. Shotgun

Koa

Beginner
Jul 3, 2007
I will be going black bear hunting later this year. The past two years I've used a .308. I'll be hunting over bait and most of the shots will be around 50 yards. I can't find much in the way of info on hunting black bear with rifled slugs, but wanted to see what everyone had to say. Anyone have any advice?

I would use what you feel most comfertble with. But the .308 gets my vote with 165 partitions

I had been using 150gr Winchester FailSafe, but have gotten into hand loading this past year. I had originally planned on hand loading some 180 gr Partitions with the Nosler Custom brass. However, I'm really tempted to try a rifled slug......

Black Bears are fairly easy to kill, if you hit them right. Weights vary from 150 lbs to over 400 lbs for the bigger bears. I would highy recomend that you use a gun that gives you pin point accuracy. Although a 12 ga slug will do the job, I would use the 308 Win with either a 165 gr or 180 gr PT. Depending on your actual set up, you could get a longer shot and the 308 Win will have the edge over the rifled slug.
A pump or semiauto 12 ga slug gun would be excellent for tracking. :wink:
http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/bearshotplacement.pdf

JD338

Koa -

Good luck with your hunt, and let us know which one you pick. If you have access to one, a .50-cal smokepole may be an alternative.

My first encounter with a black bear is scheduled for September. I will be shooting 180 grn Partitions out of an ADL in 30-06. This is the only load I've had a chance to develop for the rifle.

Hegland,

The 30-06 is a good cartridge; my brother took his bear with one last year. He was using the 180 gr PTs as well. He somehow hit him over the bait, and once again on the run! It was some good shooting in very dense cover, I must say.

I think I’m going to invest in the rifled shotgun barrel, and see what kind of accuracy I can squeeze out of it. If the shotgun proves to be a viable option, I'll take both it and the .308 along with me.

I've been working a lot on shot placement from various angles in between seasons. Last year I missed my opportunity at a good bear because I only felt comfortable with the broadside shot; I'd feel horrible knowing I wounded an animal. There seems to be two basic schools of thought I've come across in the process. The first is go for the lung shot, the second is to take the shoulder shot. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Koa,

I take out the shoulder(s) and they go straight down. :wink:

JD338

I'm anxious to hear more about this shoulder shot. I've read that if you hit the bear high between the shoulder blades, it will cut or damage the spinal cord in addition to taking out the front legs. What has your experience been with this type of shot? I'm anxious to hear everything you can tell me about it.

Thanks!

koa,

If you take out the running gear, they don't go far. Shooulder shot bears go straight down and roll. Be ready though, they can get up and run. Best to put a second shot into the bear right away. The bear I shot 2 yrs ago was quartering towards me at 30 feet. My shot took out the near shoulder shreaded the lungs and left a golf ball exit wound in the back of the rib cage. I was using a 338 RUM with a 210 gr PT. He dropped at the shot and never twitched or moved.
I also shot a bear with a 30-06 w/ 150 gr PT. First shot smashed the off shoulder. He fell rolled and got up to run when I hit him a second time, again hitting the off shoulder. He took one leap and piled up with both shoulders out.
My other bear was shot with a 35 Whelen and 225 gr PT. First shot broke the near shoulder. He went down and I put a second shot through the same shoulder and both lungs.

When you break them down, they won't go far. Put a second one into the lungs and you will have your bear without having to do any tracking.
I much perfer this method since I usually have several bears comming into my bait. I really don't want to be crawling in a thick cedar swamp at night looking for my bear and running into a big healthy one! :shock:

JD338

Cool! Where exactly do you aim? I'm trying to visualize the shot placement....

There's a lot to be said for a high shoulder shot on many types of game - if you've got enough bullet to make it work... I like it even on deer. Haven't had the good fortune to have a bear in my sights, during bear season yet... Except once - when I found mama and baby bear while I was hunting with a muzzle loader. That was cool, but I didn't shoot her.

JD338":q6qq049y said:
koa,

If you take out the running gear, they don't go far. Shooulder shot bears go straight down and roll. Be ready though, they can get up and run. Best to put a second shot into the bear right away. The bear I shot 2 yrs ago was quartering towards me at 30 feet. My shot took out the near shoulder shreaded the lungs and left a golf ball exit wound in the back of the rib cage. I was using a 338 RUM with a 210 gr PT. He dropped at the shot and never twitched or moved.
I also shot a bear with a 30-06 w/ 150 gr PT. First shot smashed the off shoulder. He fell rolled and got up to run when I hit him a second time, again hitting the off shoulder. He took one lead adn piled up wit both shoulders out.
My other bear was shot with a 35 Whelen and 225 gr PT. First shot broke the near shoulder. He went down and I put a second shot through the same shoulder and both lungs.

When you break them down, they won't go far. Put a second one into the lungs and you will have your bear without having to do any tracking.
I much perfer this method since I usually have several bears comming into my bait. I really don't want to be crawling in a thick cedar swamp at night looking for my bear and running into a big healthy one! :shock:

JD338

That is VERY good advice. I agree 100% and so do most of the people in Alaska.We try to take the shoulders out because tracking a wounded and ticked off bear is no fun!!First shot break major bones,second shot finish him (or her) off with a shot to the vitals.Good luck,bear hunting is one the most exciting hunts out there.

Tim

use a good bullet......165 to 180's in the 308 Win. I have had success over the years on the bear stand with the 180gr Win Silvertip in the 308 Win and 30-06.

Back