Bear Tracks on this morning's hike

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Dog and I took about a 7 mile hike in the hills above town this morning. Pretty muddy, rained last night. Came across bear tracks and followed them for about a half mile. Appears to be an average size black bear. Front paw about the same size as my hand. I'd guess likely a male as there were no cub tracks with the adult bear tracks. I don't think my dog has ever been near tracks this fresh, he was pretty interested, and I think we weren't more than an hour or two behind the bear. Heard a twig snap in some brush down below us. Maybe it was the bear? I'll keep him in mind as our season starts August 1st.
Ttigtc5h.jpg

Had my 2.5" 357 magnum loaded up with 180 grain cast Buffalo Bore ammo. That stuff has got some recoil!

Saw a few elk and a couple of mule deer as well. Nice country. We hiked up to a reservoir I like to fly fish time to time. Didn't bring the rod this time, just out for a morning hike. Kinda nice to see elk, deer and at least the tracks of a bear all in one walk. :)
hHDjIheh.jpg

8nojqqeh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Very neat. Yeah, I'll bet doggo was impressed. It is neat to see evidence of game animals and the game animals themselves. Beautiful country, Guy.

Very nice, Guy.

Great country, outstanding companion, and a really cool handgun. Ain’t no flies on a K frame for carrying. My N frame gets a little heavy at times.

Vince

Very nice, Guy.

Great country, outstanding companion, and a really cool handgun. Ain’t no flies on a K frame for carrying. My N frame gets a little heavy at times.

Vince
Ya, I really like my 44 mag 629, but the little 357 is so much easier to carry...

Guy

Very cool. A couple of years ago I was out hiking with my lab. I bumped a nice sized blacktail deer but couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe so I tried to follow it to get a better look. I came around the corner and walked right into a black bear feeding on some grass. My dog never noticed. In his defense, the air was very still and the black bear didn't notice until I snapped the photograph. That got the bears attention. I was about a mile and a half from my truck and had no gun with me. When I told the dog to stay, the bear took off into the brush. I could hear it circling back around so I decided it was time to head back to the truck. It's the last time I went out without a gun on me.

Black Bear encountered on 18 June 2020.JPG

Very cool. A couple of years ago I was out hiking with my lab. I bumped a nice sized blacktail deer but couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe so I tried to follow it to get a better look. I came around the corner and walked right into a black bear feeding on some grass. My dog never noticed. In his defense, the air was very still and the black bear didn't notice until I snapped the photograph. That got the bears attention. I was about a mile and a half from my truck and had no gun with me. When I told the dog to stay, the bear took off into the brush. I could hear it circling back around so I decided it was time to head back to the truck. It's the last time I went out without a gun on me.

View attachment 16912
Hey, those bears don't eat much. Just don't fall down and pretend to be a dandelion. 🤣

nice! Some beautiful scenery out your way, and a happy pooch companion. I live in a “wooded” subdivision about 8 miles from town and there’s a momma blackie and her twins we occasionally get glimpses of. My dog discovered their “evidence” in our yard while checking her Pee Mail, one morning.

Thanks. We like it here. Settled in pretty firmly. Public land on three sides of town. The Columbia River is the eastern limit of town, much smaller Wenatchee River on the north end. Lots of good hiking trails. Pretty decent fishing. Hunting is so-so. Lots of wildlife. Even in town we get the occasional moose, elk, bear, cougar, and lots of mule deer. :)

A 20 - 30 min walk from my driveway takes me to a favorite trailhead. Couple of different gun clubs within a short drive. It's been a good place. Raised our sons here. in Wenatchee, Washington.

Regards, Guy

Nice view for sure. Spring through mid summer we have bear all over , come bear season in fall they seem to go into hiding.

Yesterday I hiked up Big Frog Mountain here in Southeast TN. I bumped into 3 black bear at different spots along the 11 miles; the second made my HR jump to 176 according to my watch. He was sleeping just off the trail and I got a bit too close so that it scared us both. My dog is now too old for such forays, great day nonetheless.

-B

Back