Bedding the CDL's

Nicely done Guy.
Looking forward to your range reports.

JD338

Guy, those are very professional jobs by the young gunsmith. He obviously takes pride in his work and you take pride in your rifles. I am sure you will enjoy shooting them. I hope you post your targets.

Dan

Very nice Guy. I pillared and bedded my first 25-06 since it was horrible from Remington and wouldn't shoot for beans. After pillaring it really came alive and shot well. The Whelen hasn't ever had nothing other than the trigger done and it shoots really well..

Might have to try the pillars out in it someday.

Like Fotis asked, did you float the 25-06?

Those are beautiful. I do my own, but if I knew of someone locally who could do work like that I'd have them work on my rifles in a second.

It's kind of funny, I didn't have any accuracy complaints with either rifle, just wanted to spiff them up a little with something that might help. Yes, the barrels are free-floated, though the very slim forearm of the CDL stock doesn't give much extra room to work with. I'll have to watch that! Also, I know that I've had skinny-barrel 700's in the past that did shoot better with a little stock to barrel pressure up near the tip of the stock, just like Remington builds them. If need be, I'll put a little bedding material up there, but I want to give these free-floated rifles a decent test before messing with anything else.

The .25-06 in particular has been quite a tack driver with my handloads. Loves the 115's (Nosler or Berger) at 3100 - 3200 fps.

The .30-06 was first used last year, and I just filled the magazine with loads assembled for my ancient .30-06 Model of 1917. Those include 165 gr Nosler Partitions & H4350. :grin: Nice, well proven combo and IMR 4350 has treated me equally well in years past. The loads developed for the older rifle worked just fine in the new rifle and I had no issue taking it hunting. Sadly, didn't get a shot opportunity while carrying it afield last year.

Hoping to change that this year! I'd like to take this pair of rifles with me to Wyoming. Focus on pronghorn with the .25-06, and mule deer with the .30-06, but knowing full well that either rifle will work for either species.

More to follow on this as I get them to the range!

Guy

Yeah, that is a dynamic pair of rifles Guy. Alot to be said for having two identical rifles and being "used" to shooting both of them.

Looking forward to hearing how they work out once you get them back on the range and how they shoot. Never seen bedding a rifle like that make them shoot worse!

Guy,
That kid does a bang up job on bedding! I imagine those rifles will really sing now. I really like how large the pillars are that he uses. Scotty, ever think about sending your Alaskan on a little West Coast adventure for a pillar job? Just saying...
Joe

EOD Diver":y5gqnxht said:
Guy,
That kid does a bang up job on bedding! I imagine those rifles will really sing now. I really like how large the pillars are that he uses. Scotty, ever think about sending your Alaskan on a little West Coast adventure for a pillar job? Just saying...
Joe

Oh yeah Joe, that is the plan. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to work with it just yet. It'll likely be a future project. For now, the McMillan will work, and I can likely move that stock on to something else or sell it when I get the wood fixed up to snuff.

Guy,

I just sent a message to him about doing a couple of my rifles. Hopefully, he can get them done by the winter.

You're brave. If a rifle shoots i do not dare touch it!

FOTIS":1jd5syif said:
You're brave. If a rifle shoots i do not dare touch it!

+1 I'm too cheekin' to mess with it if I cant prove its not me and too broke to pay some one to do it right, Hats off to you, should be nice. CL

I hear that! The reason my .300 WM still has an ugly silver scope on it that I don't like is that it shoots too well to change it!

So Guy, did the young master teach you how to do the bedding, or are you just showing off his work?

So Guy...... What do they shoot like now after surgery?

Grumble mumble... I haven't had either of them to the range yet... Busy as all get out, and intent on getting my near daily bicycle ride or hike in... Still, I do owe them a trip to the range... Was hoping for this afternoon. That became a problem.

Tomorrow? Perhaps...

Guy

Good luck Guy. Can't wait to hear how they perform. I am sure they will not disappoint though. That 25-06 has always been a tack driver.

Back