Beretta

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Got a M9A4G that I want to mount an optic on an use for my edc.

I know I’m late to the party but I’m starting to like the DA/SA pistol. Been packing a Beretta 96 for the past year. I just wish the 92/96 platform came in 10mm.

I’m actually considering getting some Buffalo Bore hardcast 9mm loads for bear defense. Yeah, call me crazy, but I’m thinking it might be a viable option. I still have my Glock and .41 Magnums but I’m thinking about capacity, ease of getting follow-up shots, and a hit with a 9 beats a miss with a .44 Magnum.

What’s y’all thoughts? I’m also thinking about a .454 Casull. I got the Glock 20 for bears but I consider any handgun for bears as a distant secondary weapon as I prefer a longarm for bear defense. If I’m reaching for a handgun it’s because I thought the odds of having a bear encounter, or moose encounter, to be quite small. I also find the Beretta easier to conceal than the Glock.

I carry Appendix in town and chest outside of town. While the Beretta is a duty size handgun I find it pretty easy to conceal.

Vince

Report •••

I shot an M9 for *embarrassing period of time*. I found them to be very accurate, dependable - if cared for - and functional. I don't know about cast loads in an M9/92 platform, but I see no reason why they would not work. My only concern, as with factory Glocks, is if the chamber is fully supported, which I do not know. If it is not, I would be very select with what pressure BB loads you use.

For a little while, I carried a 1911 in 10mm for both trail and town. What I determined was that it was neither fish nor fowl. If I carried a good JHP load for in-town use, then I would have low confidence on black bear (what I was seeing at the time). I thought about getting BB 220 grain hard cast, which I think would do very well on bear, but then I thought about the 120 pound meth heads at the local gas station and realized that a hard cast pill would, um, be less than ideal.

I guess what I am saying is that I think the 9x19 will suit you just fine for 90% of what you are going to see. If you know you are going to spend some extended time in the bush, you have the 41. If you are just hitting a river to do some fishing on a day off, or on your way home from work, the 9 will probably be the better option. As for a 454 - hey, that sounds like an excuse to buy another gun. I'm always down with that.

While there are others on here with more experience than I when it comes to packing hand cannons for bear protection in Alaska, and can provide more insight...

From what I have been reading is that the 10mm is gaining in popularity for this purpose all the time. Hard to beat the rugged reliability of the Glock platform and larger capacity magazines (IIRC) over the 1911 platform, but I would think that a Cerakote job on the 1911 might be a consideration to improve upon the 1911s reliability and robustness in cold, wet environments. My Kimber in 10MM is the stainless Eclipse Custom II. Unfortunately, I cannot pack and hunt with it here in Canada...might have to go on a hunt in Alaska to use it! And if they can cleanly take cape buffalo with one using the Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo, and get full penetration (from 11-15 yards), that's performance that would be useful on a large brown bear!
The Springfield XD-M Elite might be an option for you (optics and 16 round magazines). The predecessor I have handled and shot in 40 S&W performed well. Almost bought one myself when they introduced it in the 10mm. (Should have because now I cannot)

As for the 9mm...I would think that if you wanted a smaller, lighter recoil option, than a 40S&W might be a better option. After all, the 10mm is just a lengthened 40.
I know our Conservation Officers were originally issued 9mms, but due to lack of performance (penetration) on game that had to be dispatched with a handgun, they went to the 40 S&W for their sidearms (4" of penetration vs 18"). Something to consider...

While I haven't owned or shot a Beretta, I have handled them while working in the local gun stores. Personally, I preferred the CZ for fit and balance. I have owned a couple 75 and 85s over the years in 9mm and 40 S&W, and I preferred the 85 in the 40 for overall performance and handling, with 180 gr ammo. My current pistol is the SP-01 Tactical in 40 S&W. Night sights, rubber grips and a rail for light/laser add to its function, reliability and accuracy. But this my preference, so take it with a grain of salt.
Buy and use what fits you best!

I forgot to discuss the 41 Rem Mag above.
This is more performance than the 10mm, but in a revolver, obviously less capacity. (6 vs 8 to 16 in a 10mm pistol)
And a 240 gr bullet in a 41 Rem Mag will out penetrate a 240 gr bullet in a 44 Rem Mag, with less recoil. I really like the Winchester Platinum Tip 240 gr ammunition. Very accurate in my 4 5/8" NMBH, and very comfortable/manageable to shoot!
The nice part is one could have a great revolver (Ruger NMBH, Redhawk or S&W Model 57) and a lever action (Marlin, Henry) in the same caliber!
I always thought that a S&W Mountain Gun in 41 Rem Mag would be a great revolver, but unfortunately with our 4.25" barrel minimum it was never an option for us in Canada. If I recall correctly, there was a 329PD model (Airlite) with a Scandium frame and titanium cylinder in 41 Rem Mag back in the day, (as well as a 10MM version) that had a 4" barrel that would be a lighter carry option if preferring a revolver.

None of the great bears anywhere that I've hiked or hunted in. Just the common Black Bear or occasional Mountain Lion. With one excepton I've never had a serious problem with either one. Before the knees gave out I usually carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk or S&W 629 in .44 magnum. Slometimes, it would be a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt with .44 Mg. level loads. Never a problem in the desert itself and frankly saw more bears in the desert as they'd travel from one mountain range to another, but there was always a chance in the local mountains. Biggest problem came from the college crowd who also liked to hike in the mountains. Most wanted to hassle me because of the gun. I'd try to explain why but most didn't listen. I ran across a few bears and one lion but none wanted anything to do with me, which is just fine by me.
Paul B.

question for anyone with a Beretta M92/ On the safety catch, is it the usual drop hammer typ or ddoes it work like the safetylike the 1911s? THat may sound like a dumb question but I have a Brazilian Berreta, a Taurus PT 99. The difference between the PT92 and PT99 is the PT99 has adjustable sights. However, the safety on my Taurus works exactly like the 1911. Condition one is cocked and locked. The only other difference is magazines are not interchangeable between the Taurus and Beretta. The Taurus factory was set up by Beretta using beretta equipment from what I understand so that leaves questions. The Taurus is a nice gun but very heavy and trigger pulls in SA and DA are very heavy.
Paul B.

The G Model is a Decocker Only.
The Standard Safety is like the S&W third generation auto loading platform and functions as both a Decocker and a Safety.

Vince

question for anyone with a Beretta M92/ On the safety catch, is it the usual drop hammer typ or ddoes it work like the safetylike the 1911s? THat may sound like a dumb question but I have a Brazilian Berreta, a Taurus PT 99. The difference between the PT92 and PT99 is the PT99 has adjustable sights. However, the safety on my Taurus works exactly like the 1911. Condition one is cocked and locked. The only other difference is magazines are not interchangeable between the Taurus and Beretta. The Taurus factory was set up by Beretta using beretta equipment from what I understand so that leaves questions. The Taurus is a nice gun but very heavy and trigger pulls in SA and DA are very heavy.
Paul B.
If I understand what you are asking correctly, it is both a decocker and safety - at least on the M9/92. Manual of arms, as I was taught, was hammer down with a round in the chamber and the safety off. First round is DA. I winced every time I hit that switch after loading. Never had a problem, mind you.

The safety on my Taurus is just that, a safety. While the Taurus looks exactly like the Beretta, the safety does not drop the hammer like a Walther PPK or a Smith & Wesson semi. It works exactly the safety on a 1911/191A1. Guess I was wondering about two things, whether the Beretta worked like the Taurus, it does not, and whether Taurus upgraded , doubtful in my mind to be more like the Beretta. Hell! Now I've confustigated myself even more that before. Go figure.
Paul B.

Back