Berger Bullets

I would actually consider the 168gr sierra Matchkings out of my STW for Antelope, but I'd still bring along a box of accubonds just in case.

Antelope_Sniper":mbfphh7k said:
I would actually consider the 168gr sierra Matchkings out of my STW for Antelope, but I'd still bring along a box of accubonds just in case.

Out of all the match bullets, SMK's have some of the heaviest jackets. For this reason I would choose almost any other match bullet over the SMK for shooting those skinny antelope. While some shooters have had good luck with the SMK, others have reported instances where they "penciled" through.

Shoot the 162 A-Max from your 7 STW and watch the action! Better BC than the Sierra's too.

Just my 2 cents

tjen said:
metallica said:
well i think i am going to load some for bear hunting this year. Ill let everyone know how they do. Thats if they shoot well in hte first place.

How experance of bear hunter are you? This is a very serious question because you absolutly want a exit hole on a bear. Black, brown, you need a very big holes to allow for blood loss they have lost of fat and hair to calog up the wounds. And unless you are very good at finding faint depressions (tracks) in moss you may very well lose a fately hit bear.

Best of luck on your hunt.

I grew up on Vancouver island BC and have shot 2 bears every year for the last 12 or 13 years. I also guide for grizzly in the fall in northern BC. I think I know what im doing, but thanks for questioning me. I think all this talk about having two exit holes is a little over rated. I have shot a few bears with Failsafe, deep penitration two holes, ect. and have lost them. I even lost one with 3, 180grn weatherbys in it. Yes it has two holes but no damage. Watch the berger video, they drop elk like nothing. I would compare and elk to a bear most days.

metallica":ld1sph7e said:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/

go to the hunting bullets and watch the video....

If you call Berger, they will send you their DVD.

JD338

I killed seven whitetails with the 168gr Berger VLD this past season, no problem with bullet performance.Rick.

30cal 168grn?? How would you feel shooing an elk with these bullets?? And how did you find them at the range?

Very accurate at the range. I am going Elk hunting in Montana this fall and my cases will be carrying 165gr Nosler Partitions. The VLDs may work but I know the partitions will. For what the trip costs, I want a bullet that has proven itself over the years.Rick.

Thanks Charlie. I was more worried about the other problem associated with a hollow tip bullet. I did try the A-Max in my rifle a few years back. Unfortnately my target looked like a shotgun pattern board :? . My 22-250 likes them a whole lot better. :wink:

I used the .264"/130 gr Berger VLD in my 6.5-'06 after reading John Barsness' article in Rifle Magazine. I know John and he is the real deal as a hunting and shooting writer and editor. You can read the article too courtesy of Wolfe Publishing, and I encourage you to do so.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/P ... artial.pdf

John was hunting with Walt Berger among others, and they took many animals up to and including red deer (think elk in size).

If you have not plunked an animal with the Berger VLD, don't pooh pooh the bullet until you do so. I have some of their .308"/165 gr bullets, and I would use one on elk from a .308/'06/.300 Mag.

Again I recommend you read the article.

jim

Antelope_Sniper":1ty37lxn said:
I've had ballistic tips "expend all there energy in the critter", but I'm with Pop, I want to see that nice hole out the other side leaking blood, or clockworks.

Exactly especially on elk!

Like I have stated before.....

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Nothing wrong with that. :grin:

I am using Berger VLD bullets in the rifles that they make them for when hunting on the farm here.

The VLD's have a superior BC, Bill Davis the inventor helped me with a program and Barsness says they work well on deer sized game.

I killed two deer with them and they are superb.

dsc00055ou6.jpg

Back