Best bullet @ 500 Yds

Poset

Beginner
Nov 3, 2007
I'm using a Savage 112 with Sierra GK 100 gr BT spitzers, 3400 fps, on groundhogs. Over 500 yds (+/-), hits drop to about 50% (from 80% at 300 - 500 yds).

At the range, I get consistent 1/2" MOA at 100 yards with this load.

I've decided to blame the performance deterioration on the bullet (certainly not the shooter).

I initially selected a 100 gr ball to provide a good combination of velocity and wind resistance.

I'm gonna build a new load using a bullet with what I perceive as better flight characteristics, probably a Nosler. Given the shooting scenario above (accuracy more important than killing power), is there an advantage in using the CT ballistic Silvertip over the solid base ballistic tip?

My manual (#5) does not list a 100 gr CT silvertip- ?

The CT Silvertip is not Moly coated is it?

Other thoughts / possible solutions?

I do not see a diff between the ct vs the bt. I would try the 85 gr bt or the 100 gr bt. :wink:

The B-tips give excellent accuracy however my .280 does shoot the silver-tips better than the standard B-tip.
I'm with POP, I'd look at the 85 grainers and if only using this for small game / groundhogs I wouldn't shy way from Nosler's Match grade bullets or the MatchKings.

Powerstroke":3jrzdh3e said:
The B-tips give excellent accuracy however my .280 does shoot the silver-tips better than the standard B-tip.
I'm with POP, I'd look at the 85 grainers and if only using this for small game / groundhogs I wouldn't shy way from Nosler's Match grade bullets or the MatchKings.

+1 I have had great accuracy in my 280 Rem.

Try the 85 gr'ers.

JD338

Back