Best Calibers For Moose Hunting

Any all around cartridge starting from 6.5mm with a good quality bullet would work with ease. Can you do it with smaller cartridges? For sure, but you'll be waiting for perfect broadside behind the shoulder shots. I'd rather have the extra HP/weight to get penetration in quartering shots situations if i'm only presented with that.

In saying that I've shot moose with the following:

7x64 with 175gr Hornady Interlocks at 2740 fps
8x57 with various bullets 170-200gr bullets- my favorite cartridge and choice for most of my hunting.
8mm-06 w/200gr at 2790 fps
9.3x62 with 285gr at 2400 fps.

If i started all over again a 30-06 with 165gr-200gr.

I see alot of people here using something that starts with a 3. Is my 28 nosler enough? I have an open invitation to go to Alaska.

160 AccuBond are what I have developed for it now and have those loaded.
You're set, I wouldn't change a thing. Sure other cartridges or bullets will work but not any better than what you have now.

Growing up my father told me of a debate he had with an Alaska native who was a good friend. Alex stated he was headed up north to hunt a polar bear. Dad asked Alex what he would be using and Alex said 243. This concerned dad very much and he offered Alex his choice of larger caliber. Alex insisted he was good and to look at how much better armed he was than his father had been. The father had used a spear to hunt with! Knowing how to shoot and being very brave works.................right up to when it don't.

Growing up my father told me of a debate he had with an Alaska native who was a good friend. Alex stated he was headed up north to hunt a polar bear. Dad asked Alex what he would be using and Alex said 243. This concerned dad very much and he offered Alex his choice of larger caliber. Alex insisted he was good and to look at how much better armed he was than his father had been. The father had used a spear to hunt with! Knowing how to shoot and being very brave works.................right up to when it don't.
I know a guy who has killed 3 polar bear with 22-250 running Remington green and yellow 50gr SP. his seal rifle. Poking a bear in the ribs a few times and following in a snow machine is a little different than how most of us hunt

I watched Jim’s video. I’m sure he got paid quite well for that advertisement. I’ll stick with my 300 RUM.

I just watched some outdoor life writer shoot a moose with a 22 ARC. Three shots of it stood there for about a half a minute and then fell over. So apparently you can shoot them with 22 cal legally now. Thought it was the most unethical thing I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’m alone in my thinking with the comments that I read underneath the video either.

Back