Best combo Elk & Deer caliber

jmad_81

You have reached me where I live. We may be twins that got split up at birth.
Our stories are uniquely simular right down to the .270 first elk.
You have ridden me of my guilt of using large calibers for large animals despite the cries from the .243 crowd. :oops:
In all sincerety I have been thrue the same experience with my grandfather. (That's about a 45 minute amazing story in itself) I have developed the Elmer Keith attitude that nothing is going to break my shoulder but a lesser caliber will not take down an elk cleanly from all normal hunting angles. (JDMAG is my mentor)
I will use the 338 RUM for deer and backup elk and the 375 RUM for primary elk. It does take em down with little fuss and adrenelin in a "bang flop' manner. (JD338 is my guide in all things accuracy).
This is the most fun post I have ever been blessed to have posted.
Despite all the humor I have really cleared my head and stuck with my beliefs thanks to all your imputs.
But, what about the 458 Lott, Ruger #1 ?? :? What would Pop say :roll:

Thank You All
Greg

+1 on hearing your story Greg. Don't worry about the .243 croud, my friends all make fun of me as well. They think I'm "over compensating for something" :roll: If it make you feel any better I've taken more deer with a .243 than any other gun I own, but I would never point one at an elk.

Every gun has a place in my safe :)

My 270WSM's wih 140gr Accubonds sure has impressed me on elk, moose, deer, bears. I still love my 300WM with 180gr AB's and will ry my new rifle on spring bear 338-06AI with 225gr AB's

Mighty Peace
That 338-06 AI ought to be a thumper. Let me know how it does for you.
Sounds like you've tried out your 270WSM on lots of game it must be a good one.

I like the 35 Whelen for an all around elk - deer round. Recoil is very tolerable and it carries similar ballistics as a 30-06 with a 225gr bullet. It seems to work very well on elk and bear. Plus, it is a classic cartridge that seems right at home in the elk woods. Out of the 270WSM, 300 Mag and the 35 Whelen, the 35 Whelen left the biggest impression on me downing an elk. Just seems to have alot of power and about any sane shot can be taken with it. Scotty

The 30-06 is tough to beat considering how many use it on both. Now saying that, I just got my 358Win with a 225gr bullet at 2509fps and that translates into a very fine deer and elk combination.

Here is the 358Win 225gr group at 2509fps

IMG_8251.jpg

Bullet, what are you using to get the 225 up to 2500fps. That sounds like a pretty stout load, and I agree, it would be an excellent elk-combo. I don't shoot much past 300 anyhow, so that would be plenty for any elk that walks. Scotty

beretzs":2ty9uh92 said:
Bullet, what are you using to get the 225 up to 2500fps. That sounds like a pretty stout load, and I agree, it would be an excellent elk-combo. I don't shoot much past 300 anyhow, so that would be plenty for any elk that walks. Scotty

I am getting these velocities out of Varget, IMR4320 and a very compressed charge of AA2495 and all these powders are delivering like accuracy.

I think I am going to try Varget again. I can get 48gr's of Varget behind the 225gr Sierra and accuracy is pretty good. I haven't chronographed them, but I would imagine they should be around 2400 and should work just fine for black bear. I am getting close to leaving so I need to get something quick. Scotty

beretzs":m69l9hs4 said:
I think I am going to try Varget again. I can get 48gr's of Varget behind the 225gr Sierra and accuracy is pretty good. I haven't chronographed them, but I would imagine they should be around 2400 and should work just fine for black bear. I am getting close to leaving so I need to get something quick. Scotty

I can get 50 and 51grs of Varget behind a 225gr Sierra and the bullet not creep out after being loaded for a while. I can get 50grs of IMR4320 in the case without problems or the bullet creeping out. I can get 48grs of AA2495 with out problems. I do vibrate the powder in the case until it settles and leaves me room to seat my bullet.

Wow, I can get 49gr of Varget in there without issues behind the Speer 220, but I would have to relook it for the 225gr Sierra. Varget does seem to be a accurate powder for me. I am going to try some HDY 200gr Spire Points soon. I can't seem to find anyone who has 225gr Partitions or Sierra's in stock right now and I need the load pretty shortly. Scotty

beretzs":3qz7wfnd said:
Wow, I can get 49gr of Varget in there without issues behind the Speer 220, but I would have to relook it for the 225gr Sierra. Varget does seem to be a accurate powder for me. I am going to try some HDY 200gr Spire Points soon. I can't seem to find anyone who has 225gr Partitions or Sierra's in stock right now and I need the load pretty shortly. Scotty

Don't feel bad, I have one bullet, I mean just one bullet left to load for my 358Win and can't find any 225gr bullets. Only two I would consider and that would be 225gr Sierra or Partition. I will not waste my time with anything else and those two bullets in that weight are optimum for the velocities my rifle can obtain both for accuracy and the way they kill at 2300-2500fps.

I know what you mean, but I would really like to take the 358 to Idaho this spring for bear. If I can't I have my 270WSM and 35 Whelen ready to go. I think the 7mm Rem Mag is pretty ready also. I need more range time and less work to get my gear straight. I might try to the 200gr HDY, if I cannot find any 225's. I was considering the Speer 220, but I cannot find any of those either. The Idaho black bears are no bullet proof or overly large, so I am sure the 200 grainer would make short work of one. Scotty

I can't see using a 338 Anything on whitetails so I'd say the best compromise would be any of the 300 magnums - take your pick.

Charlie-NY":gjcimd7k said:
I can't see using a 338 Anything on whitetails so I'd say the best compromise would be any of the 300 magnums - take your pick.

Yeah, I can't see a 338 anything on whitetails either that is why I will be using a 358Win. :lol:

bullet":19pfm649 said:
Charlie-NY":19pfm649 said:

Yeah, I can't see a 338 anything on whitetails either that is why I will be using a 358Win. :lol:

I agree that a 338 is way more than needed for WT Deer BUT, the 338 kills deer right now.
You would have to see it to believe it. :wink:

Every deer I have shot with the 338 RUM has gone about 3 feet, straight down and never moved.

JD338

Back