Best tasting African meats

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I am looking forward to a exotic hunt soon. I like to process ground meat, steaks, cubed meat, roasts, etc just like we use for normal game.
Which would be the Top 3 best tasting African meat and do they taste gamey and do they get dry if too lean?

The beauty of African meats are two fold-first is that they aren’t gamey. Second is that they are cooked over real wood, never briquettes or gas. It is even better than your smoker can do. That said-eland filet is the best meat I’ve ever had. It tastes similar to beef but is more tender. None of the meat is fatty, but if it isn’t over cooked it will still be moist.
Our ph also cooked beef or chicken in case we
Didn’t like the wildebeest or whatever it was that day-we, my wife and I loved it all!
They are all good tho, the ph or cook preparing it for you knows how to age and prepare your meat and you will love it all!
I posted some food pix on my South African hunting post-

Using mesquite wood is flavorful, I have seared nilgai and deer steaks and cooked bacon wrapped backstraps as well. Delicious that my kids was 2 and 3 years old when they ate bacon wrapped straps, I was surprised. They have been hooked on game meats ever since. Of course overcooking it will dry them out, steaks are great medium or medium rare.
I would have to decide on which 3 exotic game to harvest, would anyone lean me to the right direction?

Have also heard/read that eland (Africa) is very good.
As for exotics, have heard/read that axis deer is the best, but that blackbuck is also very good. Interesting the hear that nilgai is also very good.
Look forward to the opportunities to try all of these at some point!

Have also heard/read that eland (Africa) is very good.
As for exotics, have heard/read that axis deer is the best, but that blackbuck is also very good. Interesting the hear that nilgai is also very good.
Look forward to the opportunities to try all of these at some point!
Nilgia is also good

I have yet to experience either but it all sounds good.

JD338

I found zebra a bit gamey but hartebeest, wildebeast, and kudu were excellent. Even the giraffe was good.

I really enjoyed some hippo that was prepared for us. It was taken by a South Dakota Hunter a day or two before we had it.

If I'm able to go back in 24 I'm not certain which critters I'll focus on. Don't think I'll shoot another eland; but, bush buck, Nyala, Kudu, for sure. It all seems to eat so well.

I had a friend in high school whose dad did one of those expensive ranch hunts in Texas and I had red lechwe with his family from that. It was very good.

I’ve never tried African meat but they make a brandy that is made to mix with Coca Cola.

I know. Sounds disgusting but it’s actually quite good. I’ve been blessed with two bottles in my lifetime from friends that have hunted Africa. Klipdrift is the name of it.

I wouldn’t mind another bottle and would gladly reimburse one if they wanted to bring back a bottle.

Vince

Last edited:
Back