Liver with Apple Cranberry Compote

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I'll try to update this with pictures at some point but thought you might like this recipe for deer liver. Can be used for elk or moose etc too of course. A big favorite in our household. This recipe is easily modified for your personal taste so please update this thread if you do so we can try it.

One deer liver sliced thin
3 large apples
2 large onions
Handful of dried cranberries
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
3 TSBP brown sugar
Flour of your choice (I use rice flour or arrowroot starch)
Bacon grease
Cooked rice

Make sure you get all the blood out of the deer liver, I usually soak it for a couple of hours in salt water after slicing it. Pat dry, dip in flour and fry to medium rare in bacon grease. Should be crispy but not overdone. Set aside and saute all the remaining ingredients in the same pan. When done place the liver back on top and serve with cooked rice. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Last edited:
Sounds quite good, Gerry. I used to enjoy liver sliced thin and fried between two slices of bread that are heavily buttered. Excellent!

I wish I could enjoy organ meat. I've tried many times and I just can't do it...I consider the liver and heart "give backs" to nature for removing an animal, and let the other critters enjoy the spoils.

I understand not everyone liking liver, overcooking it is the worst thing you can do with it. I have some friends that gave me their extra deer livers which is how we ended up with so much!

Back