Stuffed Heart

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Oh, yeah, I do know this "Food and Recipes" section is here. I did respond to a request for heart on another thread. However, for those looking for a recipe for stuffed heart, here is the one I've settled on.

I pulled this from the Bradley Smoker site (https://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/st ... e-heart-2/). It will work without a smoker by cooking in your oven.

Makes 4 hearty servings. Substitute any other species of heart you desire.
Ingredients
1 Moose heart (split lengthwise)
Salt & pepper to taste
500 ml (2 c) bread or cracker crumbs
125 g (1/4 lb) pork sausage
65 ml (1/4 c) minced onion
125 ml (1/2 c) all purpose flour
65 ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
1 ml (1/8 tsp) pepper
3 ml (1/2 tsp) sage
15 ml (1 tbsp) minced parsley
500 ml (2 c) water
5 ml (1 tsp) beef base
Preparation
Wash heart, trim all fat and remove arteries.
Soak in cold salty water for half hour.
Drain and pat dry.
Brush the outside of the heart with oil and sprinkle the entire heart with salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs, sausage, sage, and parsley.
Fill inside cavity with the breadcrumb mixture and tie or skewer the heart back together.
Roll the heart in flour, then braise it in a hot frying pan with oil until the heart has a golden brown color.
Transfer the heart from the frying pan to an oiled smoker rack.
Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to 120°C (250°F).
Using Hickory flavour bisquettes, place the rack in the Bradley Smoker and smoke/cook for up to 8 hours. You may wish to turn the smoke generator off after 4 hours, but continue to cook.
If desired, make a thin gravy out of the remaining flour and grease from the frying pan to serve with the heart.

I do use my Bradley Smoker, though it is rather aged now. If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy a new one. However, it just keeps puffing away.

I need to find a couple hearts to try this recipe out Mike. Thank you for putting it up!

DrMike that sound delicious , I am going to try it this fall as I know I can't eat much of it but I am sure my youngest Son would appreciate it (y).
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Dr Mike, pickled heart is a favorite around this area but honestly any hearts we come by never make it that far. My wife will often roast them just like you would a chicken or a roast, and serves it with mashed potatoes and gravy. I can eat heart just about any way it's prepared and your recipe sounds like another winner. To my tastes heart is excellent.

Back