Bianchi X15 Shoulder Holster

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Given that my Smith & Wesson Model 57 has a 6 1/2” barrel I opted to carry it in a shoulder holster.

This is John Bianchi’s version of the Dirty Harry holster and he did a pretty good job designing it. High quality Mexican leather that isn’t urine tanned. Either that or they use something to hide the urine smell unlike El Paso Saddlery.

Gun retention is via a U shaped spring steel piece. It’s sandwiched between the two pieces that make up the holster. The shoulder strap is soft leather laced to holster itself.

There are no offside speed loader pouches, ammo carriers, or other pieces. The strong side shoulder, gun is on the support side, is encircled with an adjustable elastic strap. There’s a belt loop to attach the holster to your belt. This pulls the holster in to you to aid in concealment. It also helps to keep the holster in place when you draw.

Most folks think you have to “rip” the gun through the spring. Just draw the gun upward a couple inches and it will break free of the spring tension and give you a quiet, fairly quick, and safe draw.

Shoulder holsters aren’t the most inconspicuous in the summer but they do work well in the colder months. I’ll probably get an X15 for a 4” K frame and carry that under my shirt in the summer. A little less width in the gun and I think I can make it work for concealed carry. I don’t have to tuck my shirt in so it’s doable.

My back isn’t taking my wearing a gun on my belt anymore so I’m changing how I carry. The 5.11 Sling Bag is another good option.

Vince

Never tried the Bianchi X15, but always liked the look of it.

I've often carried a full size 1911 and a couple of extra magazines using a DeSantis shoulder holster. Comfortable carry method for a reasonably heavy gun, and goes quite unseen under a sport coat. I also really like it for under a riding jacket on motorcycle trips.

Guy

Never tried the Bianchi X15, but always liked the look of it.

I've often carried a full size 1911 and a couple of extra magazines using a DeSantis shoulder holster. Comfortable carry method for a reasonably heavy gun, and goes quite unseen under a sport coat. I also really like it for under a riding jacket on motorcycle trips.

Guy
The X15 works best, IMHO, for longer barreled handguns. 4” Barrel and longer seems to work best for me. Bigger guys might want a 5” or longer barrel.

I have a short torso so I should be OK with the 4” barrel and the belt loop. If I was a taller, or bigger, guy I might have a problem with the belt loop on a holster for the 4” barrel.

Vince

Last edited:
Compared to the Galco vertical shoulder holster the Bianchi is heaps faster to draw from.

I’m going to take the BUG and Speedloader carrier off my Sam Andrew’s shoulder rig and attach it to the Galco. I’ll put the Galco dump pouches on the Andrew’s rig since it’s narrower.

Vince

We seem to be on the same page Vince. I have a X15 that's 40 years old. I used it to carry a 1911 back in the days when we had to carry concealed when not in uniform. It is still a sound design today. I also have a 511 Rush MOAB 6 that I carry my Glock 43 when I travel.

L
We seem to be on the same page Vince. I have a X15 that's 40 years old. I used it to carry a 1911 back in the days when we had to carry concealed when not in uniform. It is still a sound design today. I also have a 511 Rush MOAB 6 that I carry my Glock 43 when I travel.
🤣🤣🤣

We are definitely on the same page.
I’ve got a Moab 6 sling bag.

I think that’s referred to as great minds thinking alike. Take care and keep a good watch.

Vince

This vertical carry holster was designed for comfort, speed and security. The Bianchi X15 features a dual spring closure for uniform tension and stability. The unique, fully adjustable, soft leather harness design is cut wide for comfort. Available in five sizes, to fit 2" to 8 3/4" barrel handguns.

Just picked up another X15.
This one is for a duty sized automatic. Got my 6” N Frame, 4” K Frame covered. Now with the duty size automatics covered I think I’m set.

Vince

Back