Bighorn Rams, Napping in the Sun

are they good to eat ?
Jim, for a more complete answer, which is only my own preference. I rate sheep at the top or near the top of wild game available in this region. The one game that would give it a close run is two and a half year old moose, which is always a favourite of mine. Behind these two, I'd rate a whitetail that has been feeding on alfalfa or a black bear that has been feeding on oats. They are fine eating in my estimate. After that is a dry cow elk followed by mule deer. Caribou is better than mule deer if you can take them at a time other than the rut. Otherwise, they are gamey, much like a mulie. It is all palatable, but some is preferable to others. Actually, I like mountain lion even better than mule deer, provided it isn't overcooked. Just my assessment. As the saying goes, YMMV.

I thought that I had replied to this post already. Guess my CRS is kicking in. Guy I love to see your Big Horn photos I especially like the second one posted with the close up.

I thought that I had replied to this post already. Guess my CRS is kicking in. Guy I love to see your Big Horn photos I especially like the second one posted with the close up.

Thanks! Ya, I got pretty lucky that day and was able to hang out surprisingly close to the rams. Yes, I use a 400mm telephoto, and later I cropped the photo. It's amazing the damage those guys sustain from banging their heads together!

Guy

Back