Blackhorn 209??

Antelope_Sniper

Handloader
Jan 25, 2008
I've never tried Blackhorn 209.
The last thread had some pretty positive comments about it.
Anyone else have some experience with Blackhorn 209 they can share?

I'd stay away from it too because if you use Blackhorn 209 just once you'll throw away everything you've got on hand and become hooked on the stuff. Yup - its that good.

Fast, accurate, clean, non-corrosive and doesn't absorb water out of the air. You can leave your rifle loaded for the entire season without a worry.

Only down side is the cost and availability. MidsouthShooters Supply has Blackhorn in stock and they're the cheapest around @ 26.99/can. Some dealers charge as much as $40/can, and a can is only 10oz.

I probably gave away over $100 worth of various black powder substitutes and was happy to do it. I'd be happier if the Blackhorn was sold locally but I've got to suck it up and mail order it which requires the HAZMAT fee in addition to the shipping charge.

I have some Blackmag XP coming, and it is reported to have all those virtues and will ignite with a #11 percussion cap.

jim

I don't believe that Blackmag XP even claims to be non-corrosive, which is obviously one of the biggest benefits of Blackhorn 209.

If I'm incorrect about this let me know. I'm very interested in any new non-corrosive BP substitute propellants.

Here is what Toby BRidges reports on his website in a comparison of H777, BH209 and BM XP:

"Black Mag XP - This powder tends to have a slight edge over FFFg Triple Seven when it comes to getting the bore "spotless". It leaves a fine fouling that will allow the muzzleloading hunter to load and shoot 5 or 6 shots, when needed, without wiping the bore - and still enjoy accuracy that would satisfy any big game hunter. The fouling does build slightly, but not so much to severely hurt accuracy. That fouling can be cleaned out of the bore with 5 or 6 soapy solution (black powder cleaning solvent) dampened patches. During our testing of this powder we found that it took that many patches before the last one came out without dark fouling streaks. These solutions are water based, requiring several more dry patches to get moisture out of the bore, followed by at least one more patch with a protective lubricant. Maybe not as quick to clean as Blackhorn 209, but a big improvement over cleaning black powder or Pyrodex fouling from a rifle bore. Black Mag XP takes the No. 2 spot in the "Ease of Cleaning" category, for 4 points."

I have not tried the Blackhorn 209 yet but what I have been reading on other forums is it is great. The requirements for it though are you must use it in a rifle that has an enclosed 209 primer. People have had hang fire and no fire problems in Knight rifles with the plastic disk holding 209 primer set up. You must use regular shotgun 209 primers not the muzzle loader 209 primers that are weaker. People are claiming some astound accuracy with Blackhorn 209.

+ 1 JD, 777 shoots great and cleans fine for half the price of that stuff. Why fix what ain't broke.

I am shooting BH209 from my Encore with the Scorpion PT Gold 300gr bullet with Harvester Crush Rib Sabot and I could not be happier. Groups are fantastic, clean up is a breeze and I fired 30 rounds in a row without cleaning, 10 3 shot groups and shots 28/29/30 were just as good as shots 1/2/3.

I've used Blackhorn 209 and I too have cleaned out my supply of all those so-called subs.Couldn't give away the Triple 7 so just emptied it out.Three cans.Only thing I saved is the American Pioneer for #11 caps....If it loads with a 209 primer it gets Blackhorn 209 ,and nothing else.I wouldn't use anything else ,in 209 primed muzzle loaders,even if they gave it away.

HeathSexton":g0daukeu said:
I am shooting BH209 from my Encore with the Scorpion PT Gold 300gr bullet with Harvester Crush Rib Sabot and I could not be happier. Groups are fantastic, clean up is a breeze and I fired 30 rounds in a row without cleaning, 10 3 shot groups and shots 28/29/30 were just as good as shots 1/2/3.

Now that is impressive!

JD338

I shoot alot of rounds before cleaning as well, using the 290gr. Barnes TMZ with 115gr. @ 1950fps. It doesn't take as many gr. of powder to achieve good vel, therefore cost per shot is not that bad. I no longer use 777.

HeathSexton":2ve3ndrz said:

My results with BH209 are much the same!!! When you try BH209 you WILL be hooked!

Back