Shooters World ML powder

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Anybody tried Shooters World powder for muzzle loaders in loose or pellet form? Haven't seen many reviews. With Blackhorn 209 having doubled in price the last 2 years I will be looking for something else after mine is gone. Have used 777 just didn't like the crud ring, fouling needing to swab between shots. Dan.

Anybody tried Shooters World powder for muzzle loaders in loose or pellet form? Haven't seen many reviews. With Blackhorn 209 having doubled in price the last 2 years I will be looking for something else after mine is gone. Have used 777 just didn't like the crud ring, fouling needing to swab between shots. Dan.
Dan, If you see it anywhere "locally" let me know. I'm interested in trying it out, too. I tried 777 pellets and White Hots, but they are very inconsistent. Over 4 or 5 shots the speeds varied by as much as 150 fps. White hots were cleaner compared to 777. Went back to 777 loose because of the shot to shot consistency. If my application for a second mortgage is approved, I'm getting a couple bottles of BH 209... 😄 😄

Last edited:
The new Hodgdon Starfire pellets are supposed to be cleaner and generate good velocity, but I haven't found them anywhere.

Howie I'll sure let you know if I see any Shooters World. Might just buy a lb whenever I order more powder sometime. Like you I've tried the 777 and White-Hot pellets. First 777 pellets wouldn't ignite everytime and the White Hots didn't give very good accuracy. Friend of mine likes them. Used loose 777 and got good groups just don't like the crud ring left needing to swap between shoots for easier loading. That is what sold me on BH209. The price will dictate what I use after my current lot of BH209 is no more.
Last time I was in Heritage in Princeton they had some of the 777 Firestorm grooved pellets but that was before muzzle loader season. I tried them one but didn't do much for me but maybe I'm just biased in my onion. Dan.

Howie I'll sure let you know if I see any Shooters World. Might just buy a lb whenever I order more powder sometime. Like you I've tried the 777 and White-Hot pellets. First 777 pellets wouldn't ignite everytime and the White Hots didn't give very good accuracy. Friend of mine likes them. Used loose 777 and got good groups just don't like the crud ring left needing to swap between shoots for easier loading. That is what sold me on BH209. The price will dictate what I use after my current lot of BH209 is no more.
Last time I was in Heritage in Princeton they had some of the 777 Firestorm grooved pellets but that was before muzzle loader season. I tried them one but didn't do much for me but maybe I'm just biased in my onion. Dan.
Dan, you ever thought about just using plain old Black Powder? I know I was pretty apprehensive about the stuff till I got the 50-90, while not nearly as nice as BH209, it isn't too bad, I use a spit patch to clean my bores, and a little Windex with Vinegar gets it clean as a whistle. I have been using the Swiss brand of it and can't find anything to hate about it.

Dan, you ever thought about just using plain old Black Powder? I know I was pretty apprehensive about the stuff till I got the 50-90, while not nearly as nice as BH209, it isn't too bad, I use a spit patch to clean my bores, and a little Windex with Vinegar gets it clean as a whistle. I have been using the Swiss brand of it and can't find anything to hate about it.
Shot black powder in my sidelocks for several years but haven't tried it in my inline. I'm sure it will work just being stubborn I guess thinking inlines have to have the non-black powder stuff. I might just give it a try see what groups happen.

Shot black powder in my sidelocks for several years but haven't tried it in my inline. I'm sure it will work just being stubborn I guess thinking inlines have to have the non-black powder stuff. I might just give it a try see what groups happen.
I'd be interested in seeing how you do.

Back