Boring 7MM Remington

Don't be scared of 22. I've used it for years in the 7 Rem and it wasn't until the internet that I found out it wasn't any good.

If you develop your loads in the 50-70 degree range you probably won't notice a darn thing down to around 20 degrees or up around 80-90. It isn't that temp sensitive. I know there are "better" but it's all relative.

I'm loading the 7mm Rem Mag with RL 22.
140 gr gets 65.5 grs and the 160 gr AB gets 64.0 grs. Both shoot under MOA.

JD338

SJB358":3qa38i24 said:
Don't be scared of 22. I've used it for years in the 7 Rem and it wasn't until the internet that I found out it wasn't any good.

If you develop your loads in the 50-70 degree range you probably won't notice a darn thing down to around 20 degrees or up around 80-90. It isn't that temp sensitive. I know there are "better" but it's all relative.
Not scared of it just want consistency.
The internet has ruined lots of good things over the years and I try not to pay attention to it most of the time and prefer real life experiences.

I'm thinking 3050fps with a 160gr bullet so the slower powders might be the ticket.

That would be RL26 or IMR7977, both should do that + in 26" barrel.

If 24" barrel H4831 is the most stable powder I've tested, less muzzleblast in the shorter barrel, not always the "most" accurate from gun to gun but if the gun likes it is most consistent all around.

PS for under 600 yards the 140AB is hard to beat!

SJB358":kj7hgyw4 said:

Scotty , I couldn't agree more . I think temp sensitivity can be a lot different, in different applications . I don't believe it's a hard fast rule . I think powder column shape , case fill % , load compression , bullet weight , primer brisniac ( spelling ?) , all has an affect on a powders temp sensitivity .

jimbires":2s66ysxk said:
SJB358":2s66ysxk said:

Scotty , I couldn't agree more . I think temp sensitivity can be a lot different, in different applications . I don't believe it's a hard fast rule . I think powder column shape , case fill % , load compression , bullet weight , primer brisniac ( spelling ?) , all has an affect on a powders temp sensitivity .

For sure Jim. A lot of animals have succumbed to the 22 / 7 Mag combo.

Just to let everyone know I wasn't knocking RL22. And I have some left over from when I was playing with the 300Bee. I'm looking for ideas and everyone has responded beautifully to my request and it is greatly appreciated since you don't learn unless you ask questions.
I have loaded a batch with both H1000 and RL22 and waiting for it to get a little warmer before I go to the range since the cold front is now passing through my area and I didn't want to dress up like an Eskimo to go shooting. :mrgreen:

Just as a chronograph has ruined more accurate hunting loads than we could count, so reports of "temperature sensitivity" have influenced more hand loaders to flee from great powders than almost any other factor.

SJB358":230dkl9p said:
jimbires":230dkl9p said:
SJB358":230dkl9p said:

For sure Jim. A lot of animals have succumbed to the 22 / 7 Mag combo.

truck driver":1isdo4mk said:
Just to let everyone know I wasn't knocking RL22. And I have some left over from when I was playing with the 300Bee. I'm looking for ideas and everyone has responded beautifully to my request and it is greatly appreciated since you don't learn unless you ask questions.
I have loaded a batch with both H1000 and RL22 and waiting for it to get a little warmer before I go to the range since the cold front is now passing through my area and I didn't want to dress up like an Eskimo to go shooting. :mrgreen:

I understand what you are saying but with an 8lb jug of 22 I'd be fairly content in knowing I could get a good load out of a 7mm Rem Mag with 140-175's and for normal hunting conditions I'd be just fine as well.

I use others nowadays more but availability is different for different folks as well.

7828 and 7977 would be right there as well. 7828 has done great things for me as well.

preacher":29t1uvgl said:
Many years ago I read an article by Mr Bowman about that. He said his clients didn't shoot/like the recoil of the 300 mags and the 264 winmag was a bit light in the britches for elk ( his opinion). They had a "honey hole" ( actually an above timberline bowl) they liked to hunt but the shots were always long. At the time, he said the Sierra 160 SBT was the best long range bullet in the 7mms and then he related how they ended up necking down the 338 winmag to 7mm. The goal was to try and find the easiest magnum with an elk capable bullet for his clients to shoot. I think that was his reasoning for not going with the Mashburn, etc. It was a long time ago and I forget where I read it so don't fret if I got something wrong, just saying.

Preacher that's correct.

Remington already had pressure data for the Mashburn because Warren Page had them do the chronograph and pressure data for the cartridge; but I suspect they would have run into some intellectual property issues with Art Mashburn if they went that way. I bet no one wanted to go that way. Besides seems Bowman had the inside track at Remington. Who knows?

Necking the 338 to 7mm was easier I guess.

72 grains of MagPro and a 160 NAB gets me right at 3,000 fps with a WLRM from a 24" barreled Tikka. Safe in my rifle, start low and work up.

P

Back