Boring 7MM Remington

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Now that I think I have mt 35 Whelen/AI figured out I think it's time to start on the 7MM Rem.
Wondering what everyone's favorite load, Bullet and powder consists of.
I have only played with mine enough to get the scope sighted in so this is virgin territory for me. :mrgreen:

Several loads that have served me well over the years:

RP case, Rem 9.5M primer, Swift 150 grain Scirocco, 66.5 grains RL22

PMC case, WLRM primer, Nosler 160 grain AB, 69.5 grains RL25

PMC case, WLRM primer, Nosler 160 grain PT, 59.5 grains H100V

RP case, F215 primer, 175 grain TBBC, 60.2 grains WXR (a favourite hunting load)

FC case, Rem 9.5M primer, Speer 175 grain MagTip, 62.5 grains RL22

FC case, F215 primer, Nosler 175 grain PT, 71.0 grains Magnum

All these are sub-MOA loads with excellent velocities.

160 AB 66 gr of RL22 . Work up slow fed 215 caps. COAL about 3.3"

70-71 grains of RL25 with a 150 Swift Scirroco or 160 Nosler AccuBond/Partition. Usually around 3100 with the 150 and 3050 or so with the 160. That is just about the perfect spot to be in a 7mm Rem Mag in my opinion.

H1000, RL26, IMR7828SSC and a few others would be where I'd look for loads as well. That is really a great set up for hunting where shots are long.

I agree with all the above. I went down the 7mm Rem mag path for a few years, and enjoyed the heck out of it.

16 years ago, still the biggest animal I've ever shot. A pretty good bull up in the Wind River Mountains, Wyoming:

175 gr Nosler Partition, max charge of H870, Fed 215 mag primers. About 2900 fps. Good accuracy, complete penetration from side to side at about 180 yards. However H870 is no longer available.

I was also real hung up on the 160 gr bullets at about 3000 - 3100 fps via max charge of RL-22. Your rifle will tell you when you're reaching the max. Work up carefully, but 3100 fps with a 160 is possible, safely.

Don't discount the 140's either. I didn't do a lot of shooting with 140's, but wow! 3225 fps and excellent accuracy. I really liked that bullet. Could probably dig up my old loading data, I no longer own a 7mm Rem mag, but they can be GREAT!

Guy

truck driver":oijohqag said:
Is the 175gr bullet that much better than 160gr?

Depends on who you ask. I can't tell the difference but you'd have to kill a lot of elk to tell the difference from a 160 PT to a 175 PT or any other like made bullet. I run 175's in my MSM but so far 160's and 175's have left nothing than quickly deceased elk in their wake.

All the moose and elk I shot with the 175 grain TBBC or Nosler PT died pretty quickly. Come to think of it, all the elk and moose I shot with a 160 grain Fail Safe or AB died equally quickly. :? There has to be an appropriate response in here somewhere!

The 7RM was one of the first rifles I purchased (more years ago than I care to remember). I still have that original rifle and it still delivers 3/4 MOA with 175 grain TBBC and 175 grain PT. It delivers 0.5 MOA with 160 grain FS (of which I bought a goodly supply before they were discontinued) and with 160 grain AB. It has been a sweet rifle that I would hate to see go down the road. It has accounted for a large number of game animals from deer (both whitetail and mule deer), black bear, elk, moose and numerous predators. If restricted to only one rifle, this would be a good one to have.

I agree Mike. We're I forced one rifle the 7mm Rem Mag is a GREAT one for me as well.

I really enjoy my 7mm Rem Mag Improved (7mm Mashburn Super Magnum) :lol:

Hmmm two 35 Whelen owners turning traitor :shock: What is one to think :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I have to say that I never reloaded for my 7 MM Rem Mag while I had it, as the Federal Premium ammunition loaded with the 165 gr SGK worked so well on deer, moose, elk and mountain goat, and shot 1/2" groups consistently at 100 yards, that I felt no need to fix what wasn't broke!

SJB358":y7u7w71g said:
I agree Mike. We're I forced one rifle the 7mm Rem Mag is a GREAT one for me as well.

I really enjoy my 7mm Rem Mag Improved (7mm Mashburn Super Magnum) :lol:
Scotty, I read where P.O. Ackely had a hand in the design of both the 7mmRem and the 7mmMSM. :mrgreen:

Blkram":e22ryjn9 said:
I have to say that I never reloaded for my 7 MM Rem Mag while I had it, as the Federal Premium ammunition loaded with the 165 gr SGK worked so well on deer, moose, elk and mountain goat, and shot 1/2" groups consistently at 100 yards, that I felt no need to fix what wasn't broke!

You are not the only person who has mentioned this particular commercial ammo. I never tried it, but was always impressed with the ballistics, and with the stories of success with it. A guy could do a lot worse than to find good ammo, and just buy a case of it.

Guy

Don't forget the 140s. Deadly on the lighter framed critters, with a stiff charge of IMR 4350.

Jim

I worked with a 7mm Rem mag for 3 years shooting deer in the bean fields of east NC. It was a Rem Stainless Synthetic. With a case that had been fired and then part sized, using a FL die neck sized just bumping the shoulder, you could just about fill a case up to the shoulder neck junction with Accurate 3100 and seat most any bullet from 139 to 160 gr and it would shoot well under MOA. The problem I had with the 7 mag was no matter what bullet I used deer would run off average 75 yards before going down unless a high shoulder shot cut the spine. They would slosh on the inside but they went a ways. Where I was hunting if they got out of the field it was so thick with jungle and swamp it was tough finding them and getting them out. Best deer bullet was 154 Hornady Interlock SP. I have killed deer much further yardage but probably the best shot I ever made on a deer was the first one I killed with it. Only shot I had was off hand at 300 of my long legged paces. Perfect center of shoulder shot using 139 Hornady, rifle was zeroed at 300 yards. Buck ran about 75 yards which started my head scratching over this and continued for 3 more seasons in which I killed around 40 deer with this rifle doing crop damage control. Got tired of having to trail up deer and traded the 7 mag for a 25-06 just like it and the only trailing of deer I did with it was trailing them fall in their tracks. Bang Flop.

Back