brass quality - hunting rifle

Recently, I have been buying factory ammunition in order to get Norma and Nosler factory brass. I have not done this with all of my rifles, just three: .257 Roberts-Nosler, 7mm Rem Mag- Norma and .30-06-Norma. Considering the price of brass and bullets of late, it is easier just to buy Norma or Nosler ammo on sale and harvest the brass.

SPS has been selling cheap 110 grain AccuBond, .257 Roberts and Midway had sales on Norma Oryx ammo. So I just bought some of each to get Norma brass.

Oldtrader3":2tr3ll7k said:
Recently, I have been buying factory ammunition in order to get Norma and Nosler factory brass. I have not done this with all of my rifles, just three: .257 Roberts-Nosler, 7mm Rem Mag- Norma and .30-06-Norma. Considering the price of brass and bullets of late, it is easier just to buy Norma or Nosler ammo on sale and harvest the brass.

SPS has been selling cheap 110 grain AccuBond, .257 Roberts and Midway had sales on Norma Oryx ammo. So I just bought some of each to get Norma brass.

Be interested in how accurate the Norma Oryx ammo is Charlie. Seems like most who shoot it report pretty good looking groups..

I have been trying to go to the range Scotty but we have had really high winds and driving rain for 3 days. I will get there soon I hope, and let you know how they shoot. I have some 180 gr .30-06 and some 150 grain 7mm Rem Mag. Stay posted, it will get done.

Oldtrader3":1mmz6u1c said:
I have been trying to go to the range Scotty but we have had really high winds and driving rain for 3 days. I will get there soon I hope, and let you know how they shoot. I have some 180 gr .30-06 and some 150 grain 7mm Rem Mag. Stay posted, it will get done.

I am pretty tempted to buy some 180 grain Oryx's for the 300WSM if I can't get the 300WSM to tighten up some with the 180 AB's.. Those and the Swift's are near the top. I figure if I have to buy bullets, for full price, might as well try something different. The Swift's in the 25-06 were very accurate when they were dialed in.

I have used Swift's in the 7mm Mag (160 gr) and they were quite accurate. I never shot anything but a mule deer with them but they did the job!

Oldtrader3":6r6x4lxi said:
I have used Swift's in the 7mm Mag (160 gr) and they were quite accurate. I never shot anything but a mule deer with them but they did the job!

I know Mike thinks pretty highly of the Kansas made bullets, so I wouldn't mind giving them a whirl...

I think it really depends on what you're trying to do.

I can craft excellent ammo with new Winchester brass for any of my rifles I've ever tried it on. I've had consistent tiny little groups using it. (That's with only full length sizing, and not weighing for consistency.) Especially with factory rifles, the barrel, bullet selection and trigger are far more significant in your final accuracy in the field than the brass will ever be.

That said, if I have a hunt of a lifetime lined up, I'll be loading Norma, Nosler or Lapua. Why not? It's fun to do, and I want the absolute best I can carry in the field.

Reloading for use in matches or high volume shooting is a whole different duck. Thicker brass, more consistent and longer case life really matters. For normal hunting though, new Win brass works great for me. For that Elk tag I'll get someday, I'll be sporting the best I can get. :)

You make a good point AzDak42.

I shot a lot of 600 yard matches with plain ol' Winchester brass, mildly prepped. Did pretty well too.

Seating the bullet straight seems to be the single most important thing I can do to produce accurate ammo.

Everything else is worthwhile, but not as important.

Guy

Back