Break in/ladder 26 loads and ?

mkcj

Beginner
Jul 6, 2011
Now that we have decided on the 26 for moose it's time for break in this weekend. Am I on the right track?

As for our guns I'm going to shoot the 129's, son will break in with the 140 PT as that might be the round we end up using for Moose. Difference between the guns is I went with The Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 NF rings and mounts, son went with VIPER PST 4-16x50 FFP NF rings and mounts.

OK, tonight I loaded 4 rounds of 129 gr Hornadys with 82.5 grs of H50BMG (these are to get the gun on the paper and close to center. I then loaded 3 rounds each with 82.5, 82.8, 83.1, 83.4, 83.7, 84, and 84.3 grs of H50BMG and 129gr ABLR bullets for a ladder test. Now for a couple questions, per the instructions in the ABLR box Nosler says to load these to max SAAMI length for best results which is 3.340, OK I did that. These are the first rounds loaded with the dies, the first few rounds were perfect, then they started seating to 3.35-3.37, is that normal? everything was tight. 2nd ?, the first 4 paper rounds ended up a little under, about 3.250. will that extra jump be all right for what they will be used for? Thanks for any help all.

You're fine Pard. It sounds like you are measuring your bullet seater die adjustments by using the "base to bullet tip" method. If you are, it would be worth getting/using a bullet Comparator that measures the ogive and not go by the length based on the bullet tip. This is only a necessary tool when one is trying to really get precise and the magazine length allows one to seat your bullets out far enough to touch the lands. For break in and initial testing, you are fine.

preacher":3taq19j2 said:
You're fine Pard. It sounds like you are measuring your bullet seater die adjustments by using the "base to bullet tip" method. If you are, it would be worth getting/using a bullet Comparator that measures the ogive and not go by the length based on the bullet tip. This is only a necessary tool when one is trying to really get precise and the magazine length allows one to seat your bullets out far enough to touch the lands. For break in and initial testing, you are fine.

Spot on advice. A comparator is one item that is difficult to do without once you have it.

Big scopes.

Best of luck on your hunt. When is it? I'm only a "little" jealous of the moose hunt... :mrgreen:

Guy

Selkirk unit Oct. 1- Nov 31. We have a place in Winthrop and hunt north of town up high, mostly in the Tripod burn so lot of open ground and longer shots. Starting to get a little worried as they are closing the forests down because of fire danger in those northern units Aug.31 to ALL industrial use, and the next step will be to close everything down. Really glad it's not just a Oct. hunt because by Nov. things should be OK.

I would think the rut will be going strong on the October 1 opener, around here it peaks around then. If you are able to call one in it is one of the most exciting things you will experience. Later on if you have snow that is another great time to be out, they stick out like a sore thumb and tracking them is also quite exciting.

Man, what a great way to break in a new rifle!

I agree with the others, a comparator is a great piece of gear and very useful for headspace adjustments on your dies as well.

Back