Bringing back the old Weatherby

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
You may remember that my son took possession of my grandfather's old Mauser/Weatherby early this summer. The more we worked with the old rifle, sporterized and turned into a .257 Wby shortly after WWII, the more we realized that it needed some work. The safety barely worked, the trigger needed help, there were minor spots of rust here and there, the stock had dulled to the point where it had no sheen and the grain didn't stand out. The inletting for the action was crude, and the barrel needed a serious scrubbing.

003-1.jpg

060.jpg

We also had ammo problems. Grandpa's old dies were built to use .300 H&H brass, as no .257 Wby brass existed when they were built. As a result, when used with modern .257 Wby brass, the dies wouldn't size the neck to provide sufficient neck tension. After seating a bullet, I could pop it right back out of the case with my fingers alone.

So... We started the update, and it's still ongoing! One thing I learned was that I could have just bought a new rifle for less money, and no work, but then it wouldn't have been Grandpa's rifle. Keep in mind that my 19 year old son owns this rifle, and he's making many of the decisions. He wanted to keep it a classic blued steel rifle, in the old walnut stock originally set up by his great-grandfather in the 1940's. He also wanted to keep it a .257 Weatherby, both because it was Grandpa's cartridge, and because he thinks it's a cool beast.

Because of all the problems/work, the rifle didn't get used this hunting season, but we hope to have it in action for 2011!

As this goes along, we'll both be monitoring and adding to this post, and we'll be happy to entertain recommendations from the members here!

Photos to follow!

Guy

Dad had the Mauser drilled for a Leupold base and put a 3-9x Leupold on the old rifle several years ago, and shot it a bit about that time, but otherwise the rifle hasn't been used much in the past 30 years or so.

With the barreled action out of the stock, the small size of the Mauser recoil lug is apparent. The new Timney trigger can clearly be seen:
IMG_3515.jpg

I had a local smith fit the new bolt shroud purchased through Brownells. It needs to be finished better...
IMG_3516.jpg

The 1940's vintage barrel. Unknown maker. Still good?
IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

New Timney trigger/safety combo - works much better!
IMG_3523.jpg

The stock shown here with the first two coats of Tru-Oil, and needing more work. Also, the skinny kid was treated to a grind-to-fit Pachmayer recoil pad. At 5-10 and 140, he doesn't have a lot of padding himself!
IMG_3531.jpg

So far so good. We're doing a little more stock inletting to allow the new trigger assembly to fit. The rifle is going to have to be glass bedded, something it's never had before. I'll also free-float the barrel. There's some re-finishing work needed on all the metal. The choice now is between a classic re-blue, or one of the newer coatings.

More to follow.

Here's what we're doing about the ammo situation:

Brand new Redding dies:
IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

The old .300 H&H brass is being replaced by brand new Norma brass:
IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

There's some potentially good powder on hand:
IMG_3546.jpg

And some good .257" bullets:
IMG_3545.jpg

The Weatherby makes my .25-06 look tame:
IMG_3553.jpg

Guy

Guy that's a neat project you guys are working on and the fact that it was your son's grandfather's rifle really makes it special. I'll throw this at you guys to think about. Some tasteful but not overdone checkering would really look sharp and add the the character without taking anything away unless you want to keep it just like Grandpa had it? Just a though!!! Trying to help as only another RADD can do :!: :mrgreen:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Checkering done by Karen Rasmussen (406) 370-1226 She checkers for Cooper Arms located in Stevensville, MT.. They build custom sem-custom rifles. Great work. You could mail it to her after checking out patters that she has and she does it out of her home. Just pay for return warranted postage and there you go!! So Guy, how am I doing so far :!: :mrgreen: I know, I'm a big help.................

Jeez, Guy, I wish you had ordered a set of dies for me, too!

Cool project. Have you scrubbed out the bore to see what kind of shape it's in? Just my opinion, which don't count for much to anybody but me, but I think that would look cool with a nice matte blue (or the Ceracoat version of it). The stock looks like it's cleaning up nicely.

I love reading about builds like this. I wish I would have taken before, during, and after pics of my 280 AI project.

Oregunsmithing here locally does the cerakote bake on finish for $200 I think for barreled actions. Going to have them do the action, bolt handle, and trigger guard on my 280 AI later this winter.

Keep us posted on the project. Good luck.

Guy,

That is a very cool pictorial of your project. Your son is going to be set to go next fall.
Congratulations to the both of you.

JD338

That is indeed a special project that you have tackled. I do understand that the connection with family makes the project worthwhile. Your son will have some rich memories to hand down to his children and grandchildren because of your investment.

I don't think there is anything any cooler than seeing those firearms handed down through the generations, and the
young ones wanting to keep them.
Great project for the both of you and appears it is coming along well.

Just found out this weekend what a potent round the .257 Weatherby is. Your Son will have a great gun to cover most
anything he wants to hunt.

Can't wait to hear about the load work-up when it's back together.
RL-25 & IMR-7828 have done me well.

Guy, I can't wait to see how the rifle turns out! It should be a truly awesome rifle once you have it completed. I really like the 257WBY. What an awesome cartridge! Good luck with your project.

PS. I like your Boy's hat! Scotty

Guy,
Great story and pictures. The history behind the rifle definitely makes it special. Looking forward to seeing the finished product and range reports. What's the barrel twist? Back in the 40's the twist would normally only stabilize the smaller grain bullets, and the Hornady 117 grain round nose. Would be interested in hearing what you get to work in it. All the best,
-TB

It's coming along. Had to do some inletting work on the stock to accommodate the new trigger & safety:

IMG_3637.jpg

Next up, pillar bed the action into the old stock. Complete the re-finish job. Cold-blue that ugly Brownell's bolt shroud. Then we'll give it a try at the range with the old barrel still in place. If I can make ammo that shoots good from it, we'll leave it be at that stage for a while. Eventually it's going to get a new barrel though. The old chamber is cut for the re-formed .300 H&H brass with thick necks and I believe that's going to compromise both accuracy and brass life if I use new Weatherby or Norma brass.

Guy

That looks great. You are making some great progress. It is rather exciting just to hear of your progress and plans yet to be completed.

POP":98pvt5y5 said:
Nice checkering! :shock:

Pop that checkering as you can obviously tell is on a laminate as well, and it's a lot harder checkering a laminate than it is a solid wood, walnut or whatever. She did a fabulous job for us.

David

Back