Bringing back the old Weatherby

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that checkered laminate stock - I understand that stuff is very tough to checker. It is nice work.

On the ol' Weatherby/Mauser, I polished up the bolt shroud pretty good last night, just using steel wool and my hands. Also got the bolt handle pretty good. Everything looks bright and shiny now! Going to clean it up some more, then cold-blue the bolt shroud.

Photos to follow in a few days.

Guy,

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the progress photos.

JD338

Very cool project and in one of my favorite calibers too. Heirloom's like this are important to families because they provide a tangible sense of where they came from and who they are. Awesome restoration project, that is precious metal for sure. If you can't use modern brass, is it possible that forming from 300 win may provide the thicker neck to fit that chamber?? Good luck and looks great.

JT.

Its looking great guy!!, great work and I love the updates, I wish I was more skilled in those crafty kinds of things, but its nice to look at everyone elses work and pictures.

Polished up the bolt shroud, just a few minutes of hand polishing with some fine steel wool. Quite a difference! Am going to clean it up a bit more, then cold blue the shroud. Considered leaving it "in the white" but I think the rifle will look better if the shroud is blue, hopefully close to the color of the receiver and barrel.

Before polish:
IMG_3637.jpg

After:
IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

Guy,

Lookin' good!
I can't wait to see her finished up.

JD338

Guy you missed a spot! :mrgreen: Funny what a little elbow grease will do. Are you guys talking about having checkering done on it or are you leaving it just as it was? Just curious as to the call on that one???? :grin:

For now I'm not going to checker the rifle - but it's a thought. Something I'd like to learn to do someday anyway...

Boy, that looks so much better. I think that's a good call on bluing the shroud. Gonna do the handle too?

That is going to be a sharp rifle when you are done with it Guy. Can't wait to hear about it out on the range! Scotty

You are drawing out the beauty of the original craftsmanship. It is really looking good, Guy.

Guy, I need to resolve a safety issue on my Mauser. What made you drcide to go with the trigger mounted safety? I'm trying to decde between a trigger mounted safety or shroud mounted right side like your weatherby had originally.

Couple of things that I thought were pertinent:

1. The young man using it generally shoots a Rem 700, or more recently a 1917, both of which have the safety off to the side, convenient for thumb operation. Putting the Mauser safety in the same position can't hurt on a hunting rifle - all of the rifle safeties will work the same.

2. The old shroud/bolt mounted safety was the worst-working safety of any bolt action rifle I've ever used. It bugged me when I was a kid, and when it was in my power to do something about it, I wanted to get as far from that cantankerous, unreliable, noisy safety as possible! Am sure there are some mighty fine bolt-mounted safeties on Mausers, ours wasn't one of them...

I need to get back at this project. Been working some long hours lately and haven't touched the rifle in a week or more.

Guy

Is where we sign up? I want in on this. Come on, Guy. Give us an update.

Back