Brown Bear bullets for the 35 Whelen?

"I have always wanted a Winchester 1895 in .35 Whelen personally."

I saw one once at a gun show. It seemed to be a bit loose from hard use to say the least so I passed on it.

I did find a Browning 1895 Winchester clone in 30-06 and bought it with the intention of reboring it to .35 Whelen. Just never got around to getting it done. I think if one could find one, it would be better converting it that an original which does have collector value.
Paul B.

TD,
Your more than welcome olde boy

Earl I surely don't feel under gunned with the 35 Whelen and would hunt any game animal in NA with it and thanks again.

truck driver":239o73t6 said:
Yeah this is an old thread but a dang good one which I just read threw from end to end AGAIN.
Just can't get enough of it.
After rereading I realized I had blamed Scotty for unquenching thirst for the 35 Whelen but in reality it is Earls fault. Preacher helped some with the 35Whellen/AI.

Thanks Earl for giving the gift of knowledge about the 35 Whelen and everyone else who has supported me along my journey to enlightenment :mrgreen:
Great thread, LOL.
TD, thank you for bringing this back, I have spent the last hour+ reading this, very funny and informative.

Scotty, I looking through this thread again and was wondering how those 180 gr GS custom bullets worked out for you? I bet 2900-3000 fps is possible with a bullet that light.

Never got back around to them Gerry. Powder I used was too slow. Will reattack later though.

I bet you could ruin either one of these fellas day, in an instant with one well placed shot from a 35 Whelen !
I'd bet on it!
particle_1170231130.jpg

Scotty with those Northforks I don't think you'd need the 35 caliber BBC's.

I haven't seen those in years.

BF375":23wughct said:
Scotty with those Northforks I don't think you'd need the 35 caliber BBC's.

I haven't seen those in years.

You're probably right. The NF's shoot pretty well too. They do expand fairly wide as well. I think Rick used the 225 variety in his Whelen but I never heard much in regards to what he thought about them.

I do like the looks of the NF but think I'll stick with the PT since it has a proven track record.
Scotty did you fire that out of the Whelen ?

truck driver":2d9ln3az said:
I do like the looks of the NF but think I'll stick with the PT since it has a proven track record.

Nope. It was out of my Newton.

SJB358":nxjntwc6 said:
truck driver":nxjntwc6 said:

Nope. It was out of my Newton.
What velocity was it running? I'm sure I couldn't push it fast enough to get it to preform like you did.

2650-2700. Don't have my notes but it'll expand. They are very soft in the front. A 225 or 250 would be better in the Whelen I think though.

SJB358":2yhagqbz said:
2650-2700. Don't have my notes but it'll expand. They are very soft in the front. A 225 or 250 would be better in the Whelen I think though.
Sorry for being repetitive I didn't think before I asked I now see where it was out of the Newton and was thinking it was a 250gr still again my mistake for not opening my eyes.
The 225gr might be interesting in the 35/AI.

truck driver":hig4xh5g said:
SJB358":hig4xh5g said:
Sorry for being repetitive I didn't think before I asked I now see where it was out of the Newton and was thinking it was a 250gr still again my mistake for not opening my eyes.
The 225gr might be interesting in the 35/AI.

Northforks are very good Bullets. Nothing I wouldn't hunt here with the 225 or 250.. thinking the 225 would work great in the Whelen.

So, given a roaring bear, standing upright like that... What's the best shot placement?

I'd tend to aim for the center of the chest and put one right there as quickly as I could. Will that work?

Anyplace better?

I did shoot a standing black bear once, a few years ago. 306 yards away, he was standing to pull down some berry bushes. Hardly as dramatic as that poster! The "thwap" from the 260 gr AccuBond hitting him was clearly audible. He went down instantly, bullet went through the shoulder and exited. He only managed to crawl a few feet, under the bushes. Huge blood trail, more like a swath.

But he was facing sideways to me, and I took the shoulder.

Bears are so cool. Just to watch, or to hunt.

Guy

Back