browning 7mm-08 micro

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
Browning 7mm-08 micro midas for a 12 year old girl? I have been going between this and a Remington 700 youth in 7mm-08? What do you guys think. I think it is the correct caliber for where we live out west. We hunt mostly deer and elk. If not this then it will be a 270 cut down and customized.

Fwood

I bought a lefty X-bolt in 7-08 for my girlfriend a few years ago . it really is a nice rifle . I'm very pleased with it . it does shoot well .

I used to own a right-handed Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker. I really like it and would still be shooting it except I needed to switch to left-handed shooting. It shot 140 gr. BT's very well. I liked the safety/bolt set-up. It should be very simple for a new shooter to learn. Go for it. Contact me if you are interested in my load info. Dan

A friend of mine bought the same rifle for his 12yr old son and he's harvested several nice deer with it over the past couple years. The 7mm-08 is a good caliber with mild recoil and should serve your daughter well. My friend reloads and if I'm not mistaken he loads the sierra 120gr pro hunters in his sons rifle and they are very accurate. The nosler 120gr ballistic tip would also be a great choice.

It's certainly a fine cartridge, capable of cleanly taking elk, black bear, goat, sheep and deer. It won't kick a youngster from under her hat. The primary issue is whether it fits her or not. You may have to alter the stock to accommodate the smaller frame.

The 7-08 is a great pick. You can use youth loads for target shooting and deer hunting.

JD338

...my thoughts, in a side-by-side comparison, I think you would find the Browning to be a better buy when you look @ balance, features, fit, & finish. They've also been pretty good on warranty issues, the few times I've dealt w/ them. The Inflex recoil pad is very good, & there's lot of capable lighter loads available. All my Brownings have shot subMOA outtadabox...

Thanks for all the great input, I am leaning strongly towards the browning the finish is much better. The Remington looks like they dipped it in black paint. I will fill everyone in when I make a purchase.

Fwood

All the Brownings I've handled, and that is a few, displayed excellent fit and finish. Each shot more than acceptably. I do believe that rifle will work for you.

I'd be all over the Browning or if your open to it, the M70 Compact in 7-08 looks pretty nice as well.

I like the 7-08 cartridge. Very capable cartridge.

I'd agree with others that tell you to pick the 7mm-08. I picked one up in a Remington model 7 a few years ago. It was stolen a couple years later by my daughter and I'm pretty sure I'll never get it back....even though it gets stored in my safe!!

I've put together a modest load with the 120 grain BT that's good and accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have a buddy that has killed several elk with his, so it will definitely cover the bigger animals. With bullet choices for the 7's there's not much it can't do. I know the 270 has more history behind it but I don't think you'd go wrong with the 7mm. It is such an efficient cartridge.

Don't discount the Savage Muddy Girl!!

Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP Youth. Awesome accuracy outta the box.

Not the Axis.

I bought my little girl a Marlin XS-7 in 7mm-08 and painted it. Basically a savage!

And she can shoot too! 200 yard group!

and she did well for her 1st time

I bought my wife the Marlin XS7 as well. She had to have the stainless barrel though. For a $400 rifle in a plastic stock the thing shoots under an inch with anything I feed it. And I don't cry after every scratch it receives in the woods.

Back