Browning High Power Action of .257 Roberts and Custom Stock.

Browning High Power .257 Roberts range trip and chronograph data after bedding and epoxying pillar.

Chrono data is at 15 feet, bright sunshine temperature 74 degrees F in shade.
-85 Grain ballistic Tip, Nosler case, CCI BR2, 44.0 gr IMR 4064, chrono: 3395 fps@15 feet, hot, hard bolt lift!
-100 Grain Partitions, R-P case, CCI BR2 primer, 45.0 gr IMR 4350, chrono: 2995 fps@15 feet.
-110 Nosler BT factory ammo, 3060 fps@15 feet, some hard bolt lift.

Observations:
1. Accuracy data was not great for 110 Nosler factory loads, about 2 inch groups.
2. Accuracy for 85 grain BT load was too hot and groups were about 1.5 inches, only fired 3 rounds. Ejector marks on base of case.
3. Accuracy for 100 grain Partitions was better, consistantly (3 groups) at about MOA.
4. This rifle does not like maximum loads very well. It shoots much better at about 50 KSI+.

Conclusion:
I need to relieve bedding in front of the recoil lug on the barrel base and take some action bending stress off rear tang screw. Groups were both better and worse (bimodal) before bedding recoil lug. I think that I have induced stress into action bedding. I think that the rifle can do better. I need to relieve the barrel-bearing, glass bedding ahead of the recoil lug and reseat bedded action flat (stress free) again.

Sounds like it is getting worked out Charlie. It is a nice project rifle for sure. I imagine before your done, you will have a good shooting rifle, that is pretty gentle as well..

That is certainly one beautiful rifle! Looks like the accuracy is there as well. I must admit that I am a sucker, myself, for a .257 Roberts housed in a nice Mauser action. Best of luck continuing on with final tuning of that great rifle!

Attachments

• Mauser Custom in .257 Roberts.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 547
  • mauser_98_257.jpg
    mauser_98_257.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 547
  • mauser_98_action.jpg
    mauser_98_action.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 547
  • mauser_98_butt.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 547
Nice looking rifle, TnHunter! Mine is a hunting rifle for deer and varmits. I prefer the .257 Roberts over the 6mm's for deer and such.

I repolished the sear this morning (it had a small burr) and relieved some Accraglass under the action/barrel junction. I also Dremeled out some extra glass around the lug and rebedded the back of the recoil lug, just for cleanup. I will take it back to the range after a 24 hour cure. This rifle shows some real accuracy promise wih the 100 gr Partitions and 45.0 grains of IMR 4350. I will keep going with it because velocity is at 3000 fps in 24 inch barrel and pressures are mild. Plus, that load has worked well in two other .257 Roberts rifles.

Oldtrader3":36i3enmv said:
Nice looking rifle, TnHunter! Mine is a hunting rifle for deer and varmits. I prefer the .257 Roberts over the 6mm's for deer and such.

I repolished the sear this morning (it had a small burr) and relieved some Accraglass under the action/barrel junction. I also Dremeled out some extra glass around the lug and rebedded the back of the recoil lug, just for cleanup. I will take it back to the range after a 24 hour cure. This rifle shows some real accuracy promise wih the 100 gr Partitions and 45.0 grains of IMR 4350. I will keep going with it because velocity is at 3000 fps in 24 inch barrel and pressures are mild. Plus, that load has worked well in two other .257 Roberts rifles.

Thanks. I wish you good luck at the range on your next foray!

SJB358":3adt193x said:
Very nice buddy. That rifle brings a bit of wetness to my eyes!

DrMike":3adt193x said:
Without doubt, a most handsome rifle.

Thank you both. The scope was supposed to be a "starter" scope and replaced later by a gloss 3-9x40 Leupold. I like the look of the very slightly smaller Weaver V9 3-9x38 on top so much, I've left it there. I'm embarrassed to say how long since it's been to the range, howerer. I think it will travel with me & the new Whelen some time next week for a wring-out. :mrgreen:

This hot and humid weather has been causing me fits trying to relieve the barrel channel on my Browning .257 Roberts. I had the barrel at least .008/.010 inches clear of the stock and then it moved. I even put a little more accraglass in the lug to stabilise and lift the barrel slightly for more clearance. The stock keeping swelling and lowering clearance to one piece of paper (.003 inches), despite Tru-oil sealing and coating the channel wood.

I ball cutter Dremelled for greater clearance along the barrel taper area without much change. So, I order a 5/8's channel scraper from MidwayUSA tonight. It may cost me a week of waiting for the barrel channel scraper, but it will clear that forend, or else!

Way to keep at it Charlie, I imagine you will get some space with that scraper!

Wow, I've just caught on with this thread been away a while and all. And, again WOW OT3 that Browning rifle is a thing of a beauty. I too am a sucker for the .257 Roberts. Too bad is not as popular as other cartridges nowadays. However, it may be good thing for us who own one.

Early this year I started fussing around with my Ruger Hawkeye trying to find and accurate load using the Nosler 110 Accubonds but it has been a painfull task. I can't find any combination that will group better than 2" @100 yds (5-shots). I believe my problem (besides learning how to shoot better) is finding the proper action/stock torque settings. I'll keep at it after the upcoming hunting season ends.

Congrats again OT3 looking forward to read your progress with that beauty.

Thanks guys, so far I have not had much luck with either 110 Nosler ammo or 85 ballistic tip handloads so far. They are shooting around 2 MOA. I am concentrating on the 100 Partition because it is a load that has shot extremely well in my other .257 Roberts rifles and is my favorite .257 Roberts load. This load shot a couple MOA groups in this rifle once and will again! I will keep you posted.

I really like the styling & wood on that rifle a lot! VERY old-school cool!

Don't forget the 100 gr Interlock... it is my "go to" in the Bobs I've worked with and has yet to let me down. 100 gr NBTs are great as well! Paired w/ a 4350 (name your flavor) if the rifle won't shoot one of those it just plain won't shoot.

Those 100 gr Interlocks are instant death on deer-sized game!

I got the 5/8 inch scraper finally on Saturday and spent part of Sunday afternoon scraping and sanding the Browning barrel channel. The rifle still looks the same on the surface but is free floating barrel for real now. Glass bedding is in and cured, new rear bedded pillar and and TruOil sealed barrel channel for warpage. Ready for range time in the next couple of days! I have both 85 gr BT's and 100 gr Partitions loaded and "Leady to Lock and Woll", as they say in Vancouver!

Nice. I imagine that scraper is pretty handy. I need to bed up my son's 7x57 when I get home. Probably just going to Acra Gel in the recoil lug and tang. I have already floated it, so glassing it in the last step to get it ready. It is hard for Dad to not wanna hunt it this Fall!

Scotty, that should be one of a select site slogans! "It's hard for dad not to want to hunt it this fall!" Several others come to mind.

Oldtrader3":3hbjjm9f said:
Scotty, that should be one of a select site slogans! "It's hard for dad not to want to hunt it this fall!" Several others come to mind.

Preach it brother... Glad I trimmed my son's Bob short or I'd not be capable of resisting the urge...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20264

This is the fifth time that I have written this post and maybe this time I actually will get to post it! This site, for some reason is very unstable and loses posts just when you are nearly finished and are ready to post.

I went to the range this afternoon at about 1 PM to shoot the .257 Roberts after scraping the barrel channel and sealing it last night. My desire was to finish sighting in and to start checking group sizes at 100 yards from the bench. Conditions were 64*F, cloudy and about 10 MPH winds from west to east. I was shooting south to north. The load was 45.0 grains of IMR 4350 with W-W brass and a BR-2 primer. Velocity is right at 3000 fps at 15 feet instrumental velocity with the 100 Grain Nosler Partition. The 85 grain BT velocity was 3395 fps, with Nosler brass and 44.0 gr of IMR 4064. Both loads are well within pressure limits for this cartridge.

Attached is a scan of three typical groups of the (10) or so 3-shot groups that I shot today, plus sighters. Because of the wind and the fact that I had a headache, the groups are not great but all were in the 7/8th to 1 inch range for three shots including the three groups on this sheet. I also shot a 5-shot 85 grain Nosler BT group that was about 3/4 inch. I think that this rifle is beginning to show some potential for shooting decent groups. Considering my migraine headache, the rifle shot better than I expected and is starting to come together with both the 85 gr Nosler BT and the 100 Gr Nosler Partition bullets. I will load some more 100 gr Partitions and 85 gr Ballistic Tip bullets and shoot some more groups in the next week or so.

257Roberts100grPTjpg.jpg

How do you like it Charlie? I imagine it is nice to shoot the little 257 without so much muzzle blast as the bigger guns.. That 257 sure looks like fun on the range. Sounds like you are getting pretty warmed up with the PT's too. When do you start in on the 110 AB's and H100V?

Back