Browning High Power Action of .257 Roberts and Custom Stock.

Oldtrader3

Ammo Smith
Nov 6, 2009
This is the Browning actioned, .257 Roberts custom stocked rifle that I traded for with Bill (Elkman) for last fall. I have been having health issues and they have kept me indoors for several months. In the meantime, I have done a bit of work on this rifle which is mainly just some cleanup from honest use.

I made the pillar and fit it to the rear action screw. I cold blued some bare spots on the barrel just to touch the metal up a little. I reshaped the comb and cheek piece, making them a little more symmetrical which was needed to remove some dings from the cheekpiece, replace and shape the sharp edge. I lowered the comb a mite and straightened it. I put on and fit a new Brownell's steel grip cap because the old one was missing.

The wood is naturally dark black walnut. I did not stain it after sanding much of the old finish off. Then I sanded, steel wooled and pumiced the stock finish with a felt pad. I put 10 coats of Tru-Oil on the stock and pumice padded out each coat to make it smoother. I am not quite finished with the work on the stock yet and want to shoot the gun and glass bed some of the action in the lug and tang area to stabilize the action a bit more. I will do this after shooting it next week.

I have some 100 Partition handloads, plus some factory W-W that Bill gave me, plus I bought a box of the Nosler Custom 110 grain BT's to try for accuracy. I should get the first range testing of the IMR 4350 handloads done next week. I started with 45.0 grs of IMR 4350 which was the load that my other (2) Roberts rifles liked, with BR-2 primers and R-P cases.

I will report back on range results soon but the rifle is looking good.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Damn, Charlie, if you ever decide to sell that thing, let me know. I like that a bunch!

Thanks Kurt, the finish needs a little more work on the grip and forend. I will get that done. I am now trying to decide whether it should be 24 LPI checkered and shaped in the forend to be less angular and more custom. I guess it comes down to how well I can make it shoot.

I have had really good luck with the other (2) Roberts' rifles that I have owned before and have high hopes for this rifle, expecially with the Browning High Power action. I will find out this next week.

Awesome Work Charlie! I saw it when I was at Bill's and you really turned that thing into a looker.. Maybe you can work on Bill's ugly old 300 Mag... :lol:

Thanks guys, I have not seen Bill's ugly old .300 but when I get my winter lung issues later this year, I will probably need a project to keep me occupied. In the meantime, I am crossing my fingers that this is a shooter and I will start wringing it out soon. I think that it would look like a really nice light rifle with some forend shaping work and checkering.

I really like the Browning FN actions and curse myself for selling the ones that I had earlier in life.

Oldtrader3":288qyvcd said:
but when I get my winter lung issues later this year, I will probably need a project to keep me occupied.

Man, if you need projects, have I got a deal for you...

:)

That is really turning out nice Charlie! The 257 Roberts is such a great round too! Is that a 24" or 26" barrel on it? Either way it should wring out all the Roberts will give you, which is quite a bit actually.
David

David, it is a 24 inch Barrel, looks like about a Weatherby #2 contour. Bill said he thought it was a Douglas? With a smaller case like the 7 Mauser, 24 inches and IMR 4350 should give me some decent loading density and velocity. This powder certainly worked in my other two Roberts rifles and was very accurate in this caliber. I have some 100 Partitions and 85 Ballistic Tips to start loading with and a box of factory Nosler 110 BT's to test as well.

I want to try some 100V powder too because I should be able to get nearly 3100 fps with the 110 gr bullet and that powder. Creeping up on the 25-06 with that load but accuracy is more important then velocity is for this rifle.

BK":2g8hsk6t said:
Oldtrader3":2g8hsk6t said:
but when I get my winter lung issues later this year, I will probably need a project to keep me occupied.

Man, if you need projects, have I got a deal for you...

:)

Maybe we can work something out? I work cheap but am slow, careful and old.

Charlie

You have really brought out the best in the rifle. Its beautiful, probably better than brand new. Great job. For those of you who don't know this was my mothers. She passed away in 08 and I had been looking for a home for the rifle. I mentioned here that I would be selling it and Charlie and I traded. I got a very nice Marlin lever, 45-70 which now live in Virgina and Charlie has the 257. He has done a great job with it.

My 300 is not ugly its seasoned. !!

Thanks Bill, your mom's rifle got good home and I will keep working on it. The beauty was already there, it just needed someone to see past the wear and give it some TLC. I have always regretted selling the last .257 Roberts that I had and am glad to have another one.

Charlie I don't know if anyone has told you but that is a God given talent :). I could only wish to be able to do something like that.
Great job my friend.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan thanks, I just wish that I was better at this than I am, but I am improving with time and practice.

Guy, you never know. Stranger things have happened. I need to get my son out and away from the Honeydo projects while he can still walk and hunt. May I can convince him to go with me for a couple days? He has a nice 6.5x55 CZ carbine which I gave him years ago, plus a few rifles of his own. The CZ needs to be blooded for sure.

I have seen some decent bucks up above Chelan and although it is 4500 feet, it is easy walking

Ok, the first range session with this .257 Roberts was a mixed bag. I had assembled the rifle and not epoxy bedded the rear pillar or front action lug into the stock. There is a fair amount of play in the bedding fit of the areas in the stock. I had cinched down the screws and took it to the range this morning just to see if the rifle had potential?

The first target is shot with older 117 round nosed, R-P factory ammo and shows promise for old ammo (not P+). The group is about 1.5 inches at 100 yards and shows promise, as shown below.
257Roberts117grjpg.jpg

I then shot some groups with the 100 gr Partition loads that I had made from old data and R-P cases. The first couple of 3-shot groups were about MOA. Then suddenly, the action started to settle back against the sloppy inletting as the barrel heated up and I ended up with bimodel groups, an inch and one-half apart. It was two distinct groups, every other shot, and both groups were about MOA by themselves but were 1-1/2 inches apart as shown below.
257Roberts100grjpg.jpg

The barrel and action crept in the stock inletting, when it heated up. I had expected something like this to occur and it did not disappoint me when it did. My accuracy suffered but at least I now know what the outcome was from the first range session and this leads me to what I need to do next. I also tried a spacer in between the barrel and the forend tip. This was not a good solution and the groups immediately opened to 3 inches. So, free floating it is.

I will epoxy bed the front action lug, the rear pillar and the rear tang of the action. I had modified the tang area wood to give better support and make it more symmetrical. All it need now is glass to stabilize it in the stock where it will not bind when I tighten the action screws. Once I have bedded the action, I will touch up the free floating barrel channel in the stock and sand out any interference points.

The rifle has potential to shoot very well and accurately. I shot a 3-shot group at 200 yards before the creep started and put three 100 Partitions into 3 inches in and right around the bullseye. My wife is gone for 4 days and this gives me time to work on the bedding with out worrying about her schedule. Hopefully I can get this done and go back to the range next week to try again. I feel that the accuracy potential is there however and is worth more work. The 200 yard group was at least encouraging.

That looks pretty good Charlie. I imagine after it is bedded and tuned up, it'll come around really quick. I know how long you have been waiting to shoot that rig. Seems like it'll do great. 5.00 of Acragel should make it really come alive. Looking forward to your results with the 110 AB and others.

Scotty, the first group with the old Winchester 117 grain RN bullet ammunition showed me that this thing will shoot. That W-W, 117 grain ammo is so slow that it shot 5 inches below the 100 grain Partitions at 200 yards, when sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards. The rifle shot about 3-4 groups of little triangles right around MOA with handloads before it got hot. There was no stringing even when shooting bimodal groups.

Once the action and barrel are stabilized by my Acra Gel application, we will get serious about developing a load and chrono'ing everything. It will surpass MOA, IMHO.

Back