• 30-06 Ackley Improved

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 300 Winchester Short Mag

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I am doing this in concert with Woodycreek. We have been BS'ing for about a week now about a new rifle for elk hunting. The 30-06 AI seems to look really good on paper. 180's at 2900 or so, and he already has an action ready to go. It would require he buys new dies and cases for the build.

The other option would be to buy another M700 SPS 300RUM and work that rifle. A new stock, maybe a brake and a trigger. Already have the dies and such. Looking for strictly elk and the rifle needs to be portable. Not going to be a super long range rig, with 500 yards being about the max. Whats your thoughts on this.

The 3rd option is buying a complete rifle, like a M70 Extreme Weather, Redhawk Rifles or something like that, that is already built with quality all the way around in something like a 300WSM. This is kinda for fun and doesn't have to be absolute, nor do your answers have to be based in common sense, just within the three cartridges, or "slight" variations there of. Scotty

Any of the three rifles you list will work for elk. For convenience and availability of components, the 300 WSM tops the list.

Given the choice, I would go EW or Montana .300 or 7mm WSM (obviously a Montana in the second will require some looking or custom work). For whatever reason, I've never been the slightest bit interested in Ackleys in .30-06 or .270, but I'd be all over a .280, 7x57, .257 Roberts, .243, 6mm, .220 Swift, .22-250, or .223 AI.

I may be wrong, but there aren't many places you can find the 30-06AI setting on the gunshop shelf. The other two are mass-produced by the major gun-makers. But the AI-round would be a fine "build".

And all 3 are good elk cartridges in their own right.

But somewhere along the way, I got stuck on rifle-barrels that have a .338 hole in them. Just an old guys choice.

Just for clarification, the 30-06 AI would be built from an older M700 270 Win that is just laying around. Cost wise I think all three of them would be all about the same price. Scotty

From your list I would choose the 300 WSM the 300 RUM is too big and unneccesary in my opinion and why load a 30-06 AI to the gills (and yes all wildcats get hotrodded) when you can use a 300 WSM and load it to comfortable pressure levels. Another option since a 30 cal seems to be desired is why not consider the 300 H&H for the same performance as a 300 WSM.

I'll give a variation, and one that's not terribly expensive for what you'd be getting, too. Bear in mind I've not hunted elk, ever, so my opinion is worth what you're paying to hear it, maybe more. I will say, that having never hunted elk, and living in an area that doesn't support a herd, I'll sure as heck guarantee I won't be undergunned when I do go west for elk. With that said, I'm thinking the ideal elk gun needs to be durable, easy to carry, able to reach out to my shooting limits (~500yds in ideal conditions) and carry plenty of energy for just about any lengthy-penetration shot angle. I'd prefer it be stainless and synthetic, as I want absolute durability and weather resistance. I'd prefer it pack plenty of punch, for the above reasons. So what would I choose? A 300Wby in a Stainless Mark V. All I'd do is re-stock a Stainless Synthetic with a B&C Medalist stock, in the color of my choice, and then top the rifle with something in the 4-16x class of scope, give or take a little bit. This setup would come in around 9lbs or a little more, and give me everything I could want in an elk killing setup. But that's just my opinion.

gerry said it for me.

The .300 Rem Ultra Mag is excellent - but I sold mine because I just didn't enjoy shooting it very much.

The .30-06AI is similar in power level to the .300 WSM, so why not just go with the .300 WSM and have the option of factory ammo & rifle?

Ok, I will go against the grain.
While any and all mentioned would work for me, I'll say none of the above.
Unless that 500 yd capability is mandatory, it's something I would pass on myself.
Otherwise I would do a new build with close performance to what suggested or polled on,,,,and that would be .338-06 AI, and kept the range at or less than 400 yds.

That's just me however :wink:

Since the platform is a Model 700 originally chambered in that raggedy old 270 something or other ( :p ), it's probably simpler to keep the new build on something off the good old 30-06 case. Why even AI the 30-06, it's plenty good already in a 24" barrel. Same with the 280 Remington that can launch those 150 or 160 gr. Accbonds or Partitions fast enough to make any elk very fearful at 500 yards. But then you know me anyway Scotty and I'm a small caliber kind of guy. :mrgreen: I mean seriously, the 30-06 is the largest one I have! The 338-06 would sure work for you also and I don't think it needs AI'd either unless you really want this to be a really unique rifle.

Like Guy and other's though the 300 WSM sure would be a great round to have. I see I have not cleared one darn thing up in this discussion.

This is good stuff! Glad Scotty put the poll up. I'm still leaning toward the 300 RUM since I already have the Sendero and everything to load for it. The 300 wsm is running a close second. Should have got that 300 Bee from Scotty! 500 yards is the goal and I know I can push it to 600.

6mm Remington":1dmnhhbn said:
Since the platform is a Model 700 originally chambered in that raggedy old 270 something or other ( :p ), it's probably simpler to keep the new build on something off the good old 30-06 case. Why even AI the 30-06, it's plenty good already in a 24" barrel. Same with the 280 Remington that can launch those 150 or 160 gr. Accbonds or Partitions fast enough to make any elk very fearful at 500 yards. But then you know me anyway Scotty and I'm a small caliber kind of guy. :mrgreen: I mean seriously, the 30-06 is the largest one I have! The 338-06 would sure work for you also and I don't think it needs AI'd either unless you really want this to be a really unique rifle.

Like Guy and other's though the 300 WSM sure would be a great round to have. I see I have not cleared one darn thing up in this discussion.

I didn't add it to this thread cause I didn't wanna muddy the water BUT Brian's other want is a 6.5x280 Improved. But we're talking strictly elk cartridges for this. We might have to start another topic on that one. Scotty

beretzs":252prae9 said:
6mm Remington":252prae9 said:

I didn't add it to this thread cause I didn't wanna muddy the water BUT Brian's other want is a 6.5x280 Improved. But we're talking strictly elk cartridges for this. We might have to start another topic on that one. Scotty

Scotty my good man, and what would be wrong with one of those wicked long 130 gr. Accubonds or 140 gr. Partitions with a BC of .490 at 3100 fps out of a 6.5-280 Remington Improved? :shock: :grin: Now you are talking elk rifle!

ScreaminEagle":3j21osyx said:
Scotty, you should have just bought my weatherby!

SE, I sold the same rifle your trying to sell right now. I just wanted to get another M70 and I really wanted a 300WSM. This post is kinda for Brian, but I kinda enjoy stirring the pot a little. Your 300 was a great elk rifle. The 300 WBY is one of them awesome cartridges that does alot of things well. I'm sitting pretty well for elk rifles with my Whelen and 338. They are my picks. Just can't seem to talk Brian into a 338WM. Maybe I'll get him a set of dies for Christmas. Who knows, maybe it'll put him over the edge!

David, I will hunt deer and elk with my 264, but for hunting elk up close in thick stuff, I like the bigger rifles. Not because they are better, I just like them! Makes me think Elmer is blessing my hunt!

beretzs":368xm15j said:
ScreaminEagle":368xm15j said:
Scotty, you should have just bought my weatherby!

SE, I sold the same rifle your trying to sell right now. I just wanted to get another M70 and I really wanted a 300WSM. This post is kinda for Brian, but I kinda enjoy stirring the pot a little. Your 300 was a great elk rifle. The 300 WBY is one of them awesome cartridges that does alot of things well. I'm sitting pretty well for elk rifles with my Whelen and 338. They are my picks. Just can't seem to talk Brian into a 338WM. Maybe I'll get him a set of dies for Christmas. Who knows, maybe it'll put him over the edge!

David, I will hunt deer and elk with my 264, but for hunting elk up close in thick stuff, I like the bigger rifles. Not because they are better, I just like them! Makes me think Elmer is blessing my hunt!

Yeah I saw that you had sold the same rifle. Just figured I'd stir things up!

onesonek":1vj5wpls said:
Ok, I will go against the grain.
While any and all mentioned would work for me, I'll say none of the above.
Unless that 500 yd capability is mandatory, it's something I would pass on myself.
Otherwise I would do a new build with close performance to what suggested or polled on,,,,and that would be .338-06 AI, and kept the range at or less than 400 yds.

That's just me however :wink:

++1 8)
Scott

beretzs":33c4g6z9 said:
Just for clarification, the 30-06 AI would be built from an older M700 270 Win that is just laying around. Cost wise I think all three of them would be all about the same price. Scotty

Well, that changes things a little... ridding the world of a .270 is always a good thing!

Here is my take on it. Elk are tough, and live in tough places. Packing is pretty much a given when your talking elk hunting. So you don't want a heavy rifle (10+ lbs IMO is heavy).

I have never shot a 300 RUM, but I would imagine that they recoil a bit (hints the break you mentioned). I just sold my 338 Edge because I had to have a break to shoot it. I refuse to hunt with earplugs in, and sometimes elk jump up out of the bushed at 50 yards and don't give you time to put plugs in. I have already lost a good bit of hearing and with one or two shots with a breaked rifle, my wife will think I'm ignoring her all the time. So for me a breaked anything is out.

I good friend of mine shoots a 30-06 AI and it is about a mid loaded 300 WM. Fully capable of taking elk out to 500, and burns a few less grians (not a bit deal if you are taking the time and $ to build a rifle anyway). It is something that not every Tom, Dick, and Harry have. So you get the cool factor (I like it) and you also get yourself into a corner if you forget your shells at home. It will also cost you for dies, brass, and fireforming. I would be willing to bet you could find a great set of used dies online somewhere (I would ask Fotis, that man has connections!) for half the price of a new set. If you already own a donor action I bet you could get into this cheaper than you could an EW 300 WSM. Both the 300 WSM and 30-whelen AI could be handled in a nice packable 8-9 lb gun.

So of the choices I have to vote for the 30-whelen AI, but I do so out of lack of better options (IMO). I personally am not a huge .308 fan. If this is going to be a dedicated elk rifle why are you not considering anything in the .323 WSM (if you like the WSMs), or a 338 WM? Both would fit what you are looking fo very nicely, and offer a bit more whomp when it gets there. Yes elk get taken with less powerfull cartriges every year, but if you can handle bigger, it never hurts to shoot it. Espesially if we are talking elk.

Back