Bulet Pullers & Deformed BullertTips

Mark Z

Beginner
Oct 17, 2006
I am using a Kinetic Bullet Puller for .270 Winchester 130 grain Partition Bullets and notice that seveal of the lead tips are distorted (slightly smashed in from impact). Will this distortion effect accuracy or any aspect of performeance? Should I use these or disgard them? And finally, any reccomendations for a Bullet Puller that does not damage the bullet? Thanks for the help!
Mark

Take a little wad of foam rubber and jam it in the bottom of the puller. I did this and the bullets come out pristine. As far as the damaged tips I would reload them then sharpen them. I have had some boogered tips on some loaded rounds and a simple fix is to take a kids pencil sharpener and tip in the round so the blade just contacts the lead and sharpen it (this only works on soft points). You can also use extra fine sandpaper (this works for both plastic and lead tips). Just be sure you dont get in to the jacketed portion.

Deformed tips will have very little if any effect on hunting accuracy. I use one of those foam ear plugs in the bottom of my bullet puller.Rick.

Back