Bullet Help

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Resized_20230725_181142.jpeg
My brother sent this to me , it’s an 357 Magnum but what bullet is it. He picked up a break action and would like to get some of these. I looked around and can’t seem to find a SP bullet with a cannelure in .357.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I need to get 1 from him. I first thought Hornady to. The Speer tip is flatter on top. I’m thinking it’s a .358” bullet.

I need to get 1 from him. I first thought Hornady to. The Speer tip is flatter on top. I’m thinking it’s a .358” bullet.
My guess is the old Hornady 180 grain SSP (Single Shot Pistol) bullet. They made a run of them for pistols years back. I may even have a box on the shelf.

The Speer 180 has a pretty flat point on them, or at least mine do.

"It's not the current 180 gr Speer, I wonder if it is the .358 150 gr. Remington CL?"

I'm sort of thinking that as well My best guesses would be the 150 gr. Rem. CL or possibly the Hornady 180 gr. for specialty pistols like thee T/C Contender. Pulling a bullet and weighing it would go a long way on deciding which. I have a coffee can that's better than half full of those Remington 150 gr. bullets. I can use them in my .358 Win. and .35 Whelen.
Paul B.

Cool. Looks like it would be a great deer bullet.
Now if you can find a couple hundred you and your brother will be set.

JD338

Some manufacturers put cannelures on their bullets for component sales, but not for manufacturing ammunition, and vice versa, so it can be hard to determine for certain just by the cannelure on a bullet.

Back