Bullet weight selection

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Im in the process of updating and re organizing my gun/reloading/ storage room. And looking at 2 shelves of various bullets and think maybe i should settle on 1 or 2 per caliber and not just buy cause they are on sale.or sounds like a good idea at the time. like why think about buying 125gr for a 30-06 when I have a 25-06. I think I've narrowed it down to weight ranges, bullet type is a whole different discussion. Here is what ive narrowed it down to
243win 95-100gr
25-06 115-120gr
260rem 130-143gr
30-06 165-168gr

The 30 06 is for elk and larger, the rest are for anything smaller or short range elk. Does the list make sense?

If your sole purpose for the 06 is elk hunting I would be using a premium hunting bullet in 165 or 180 weight for the 06. I am thinking that most 168 gr, .308 diameter bullets, are not made for hunting.

168 E-Tip works very well on elk and 168 TTSX. If one of these shoot well in your rifle I would look no further.

Elkman":2vlea92c said:
If your sole purpose for the 06 is elk hunting I would be using a premium hunting bullet in 165 or 180 weight for the 06. I am thinking that most 168 gr, .308 diameter bullets, are not made for hunting.
165 gr. Partition or AccuBond
168 gr. E-tip

I like your thinking.

I’d go 180 on the 3006 so you could cover bear with confidence. I know people that have taken bear with a 165, but usually small black bears.

If you dropped to 90gn on the 243, you can get an AB.

I’d go with all premium bullets. Nothing for Coyote? 55gn VMax is strong medicine in a 243 on a song dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a single bullet weight in a given cartridge. And usually look to find the best load with a given bullet weight for each rifle.
Where I have duplicates, I will use one weight for one cartridge and another weight for the other.
For example, in the .264 cal I will be looking to find best 129 or 130 gr load for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 140 gr in the 6.5x55, while in the .284 I will be using the 140 gr in the 7mm-08, the 150 gr in the 280 and 160 gr in the STW.
Keeping it simple is always a good idea!

I do have to agree with posts above; for the 30-06 for elk and bigger, I would definitely recommend a good 180gr bullet! Or even the 200 gr AccuBond!
While the premium 165-168 gr bullets have killed elk, and given perfect conditions every time will work just fine; but this is hunting and conditions are rarely "always" perfect, and given that these animals have a tenacity of life and the densest bone of any animal in North America, having the heavier bullets for their better BC's and SD's ups your margin for error in your favour!

mjcmichigan":2tie7hdq said:
I like your thinking.

I’d go 180 on the 3006 so you could cover bear with confidence.

I’d go with all premium bullets. Nothing for Coyote? 55gn VMax is strong medicine in a 243 on a song dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 30.06 is one i haven't started reloading for yet, was thinking about the speer gold dot in 168, but yes maybe i will go heavier.
As for the coyote i do have a 223 that i don't load for, and also some 87gr for the 25-06, but the 243 is a new acquisition and haven't totally decided where i want it to fit in yet.

While trying to build Wyoming preference points, I have taken 4 cow elk in the past 5 years. Three of the four were shot with my Sako 85 30-06, using 165 grain Hornady Interbonds. All were shot at various angles and ranges from 80 to 287 yards. All only took one shot. One cow was shot with my 270 win in a Forbes 24, with 150 grain Hornady Interbond.
My view is the 165-168 grain bullet are the 30-06 sweet spots in bullet weight. Use a bonded or all copper bullets and go hunting. You'll get all the penetration you need and a flat enough trajectory for 400 yards shots. Save the 200 grainers for grizzly bears.

It's difficult sometimes for a handloader to keep from tinkering with loads. However for a hunter, it seems to be quite prudent to work up one very good, standard load for each rifle, so field performance is known, not estimated. Although I mess around with other loads, my standard bullet selections are:

6mm Rem, 95 gr Ballistic Tip

25-06, 115 gr Ballistic Tip

30-06, 165 gr Ballistic Tip or 165 gr Nosler Partition

375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond

The rifles, scopes and ammo just stay together, usually the scopes are never adjusted after the initial sight in, just checked time to time. All those loads have worked just fine at the range and in the field. Now and again I load something different, like going to the 200 gr Nosler Partition when the 30-06 went north for grizzly.

Guy

Guy Miner":1ik2qk6q said:
It's difficult sometimes for a handloader to keep from tinkering with loads. However for a hunter, it seems to be quite prudent to work up one very good, standard load for each rifle, so field performance is known, not estimated. ......

Guy

Yep, I use to tinker, but soon learned this one load for each rifle lesson!

Blkram":rp7vrh6d said:
I like a single bullet weight in a given cartridge. And usually look to find the best load with a given bullet weight for each rifle.
Yes that's what I do also.

Elkman":2ih231u3 said:
Absolutely ! also could go to an X or e-tip in 165. otherwise 180 Partition for elk.

Back