Burris or Talley?

JMUPT

Beginner
Dec 22, 2006
Looking for a little advice, I'm trying to decide between burris signature dual dovetail rings, or Talley lightweight one piece rings. They are going to go on a remington 700 300 RUM with a brake, and hold a bushnell elite 6500. I love burris signature rings, but have also heard good things about the talley rings, so not sure what direction to go. I like the idea of the ring and base being one piece on the Talleys but have never used them, so I'm looking to hear about your experiences with them. The rifle curently has burris std bases and signature rings, but I can't seem to keep the windage screw tight. I don't want the thought of that screw not being tight in the back of my head. I'm open to other ideas as well if you think they will hold up better.

The Tally system is very robust. I personally don't care for the look.

The Leupold duel dove tail mounts are absolutely rock solid and easy on the eyes.
My 338 RUM has the Leupold Standard Mount with the front dove tail and rear windage screws. Rock solid for me, have never had a problem.

JD338

I use Talley rings on several of my rifles. I also have dual dovetails on others. Either works very well. The issue likely becomes a matter of personal preference. Undoubtedly, aesthetics enters into the equation, and that is not necessarily insignificant. I like them both for different reasons.

I don't have any Burris brand rings/mounts, but I'm using the Talley system on my 338RUM (std Leupy rings didn't hold up) and Leupy dual-dove tail on my 375RUM. Both moutning system work great, so choose either one and rock on.

Same here, most of my rifles have the Leupold standard dovetail front and windage base, with Low rings. I have one rifle with one piece Talleys, one with Warne bases and quick release rings and one with Leupold weaver style bases and QR rings. Out of all of them, I really like the Leupold "Weaver style bases" and QR rings. I don't really take the scope off at all, but I like how they mount and they seem very strong. I am using that set up on my 45-70 and it looks rock solid, although, I haven't had an issue with any of them. Scotty

I'm using the Talley Lightweight one piece on my Sendero 300RUM w/ brake and have had no ill effects so far. They have been solid and no scope issues. I've only got about 100-150 shots through it so far, but like I said, all is OK.

I follow JD's response partly in the looks dept.

I've slowly been switching all my mounts to dual dove-tail Leupy's. I've had some issues with the windage screws bouncing around on the ATV's.
The dual dove-tail assy has been rock solid and yes there is one on my Rem 700 .300RUM with Vias Brake :grin:

300_RUM_Zeissjpg.jpg

Dual dovetail Leupies in my opinion. That said either will work nicely.

JMUPT":mlys2ce2 said:
Looking for a little advice, I'm trying to decide between burris signature dual dovetail rings, or Talley lightweight one piece rings. They are going to go on a remington 700 300 RUM with a brake, and hold a bushnell elite 6500. I love burris signature rings, but have also heard good things about the talley rings, so not sure what direction to go. I like the idea of the ring and base being one piece on the Talleys but have never used them, so I'm looking to hear about your experiences with them. The rifle curently has burris std bases and signature rings, but I can't seem to keep the windage screw tight. I don't want the thought of that screw not being tight in the back of my head. I'm open to other ideas as well if you think they will hold up better.

I have what is arguablly the weakest system on my 300 RUM and 338 RUM, the dovetail front and windage rear. I use Burris Signature rings on almost all of my rifles, including these two. Despite the bad rap that these bases get, I have yet to experience a single problem and I don't shoot mamby-pamby loads in either rifle. :lol:

I use the Signature rings for 2 reasons:
They don't require ring lapping and they don't bend/bind scope tubes
They allow you to switch scopes occasionally without putting a ring mark on an expensive scope tube

I've yet to have a scope slip in the insert rings and it's a nice feature to be able to use the offset inserts to gain elevation or correct for a poorly drilled receiver. Burris scored a Grand Slam with this design - I'm surprised all of their competitors haven't come out with their own version.

Just an update I decided to go with the burris dual dovetail signature rings. I just got them mounted but haven't had a chance to shoot the rifle yet, but atleast I know I don't have to worry about the windage screw on the bases coming loose now. Also I found that midsouthshooterssupply had the best prices on the signature rings and leupold dual dovetail rings and bases for both, opticsplanet.com was also pretty close in price with free shipping. Also natchezss.com had the best prices on the talley rings that I found, if anyone is looking.

Back