Bushnell 6500? Feedback?

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
2013 thoughts, or at least at this point in time, include upgrading the 350JR with a 14 twist Shilen SS barrel.....just cause. No real reason other than I want one for probably the last rifle Ill ever hunt big game with.

BUUUUUUT when it comes to scopes, so much is thrown out there on "this is better than that", "this has better light gathering".......etc, etc. I get :? trying to sort through the BS of advertising.

If I was flush I'd order about 5 different scopes, take them to the woods some evening and send four of them back. :shock: Realistically speaking, that isn't gonna happen.

I realize that lots have their favs, often for the same or sometimes varying reasons but I thought Id toss this cookie in the proverbial jar to see who eats what......and why.

With what I know, have seen, have used there are a good number of higher end scopes out there that would fit the bill nicely yet ONE particular aspect in a decent scope always jumps up at me when Im looking. That of maximum range of magnification.

The one I keep looking at for use for deer hunting (and once elk hunting if I hold my mouth right) to give me the ranges I want hunting coupled with enough X to give me good benchrest load testing results is the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x. I'm NOTORIOUSLY BAD on the bench without LOTS of magnification. Dont laugh but the 4.5-30x50 6500 runs a VERY close second for just that reason.........even IF I would get sideward glances from everyone. :mrgreen: It also doubles as a great means of deer ID at longer ranges in kinda low light. Shooting bambi hurts me inside, I dont care if it IS legal.

The RANGE of these scope's magnification is just hard for me to get away from.

What I DON'T see is many threads on how good it is....or isnt.

Sooner or later, regardless of the miles needed to do so, I want to LOOK THROUGH ONE.

All the "light transmission" blather gives me a headache and as I CONSIDER a lot of advertising, it's probably more info than the average Joe like me can utilitze anyway.

With shots from 10-250 yards possible this scope just SEEMs to be right there for all concerns yet I have found some quoting that the "added lens" reduces the light transmission compared to the 4200 line. Yet I DONT KNOW if that "difference" is even VISIBLE or if it's something machine measured?

Don't NEED a 30mm scope, dont NEED a side focus but those Ive used were pretty slick, I thought, and I liked using them. Dont NEED 50mm either but "makes sense"?

I DO know however that it is, even without seeing one, gonna trump my current T t tttTasco.....but then again? All the deer Ive shot using a Tasco (lots!)........DIED, so I try to look at all else as icing on the proverbial cake.

I know I'd kill just as many deer with a 4-12x40 Leupy but a couple years using a Redfield 2-7x had me falling in LOVE with that wide 2x power in the woods! A little "less"in the woods coupled with a little "more" on the bench?

Sounds like a weener to me...........???

Any feedback on one?

All in the months ahead but I'm horrible about "looking" for months before buying! AS always, over thinking things but......

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL.......anyway

GodBless
Steve

The Bushnell 6500 seems to be a bargain. It is, of course, Bushnell's top of the line scope. Those who have one don't appear to be disappointed with them.

I have one and I am elated with one.
It sits on my 30-378 WBY. In fact I like it so much I bought a second one and will be mounting it on my 416 WBY.

Cant come much more highly recommended than that........IMHO.

Thanks guys.

Living in BFE Indiana......I cant find decent scopes to see unless I order one.
Your feedback is appreciated. Looks to be a good one for my uses.

God Bless
Steve

Opticsplanet has that 42mm obj version for 480 in a "demo".
Be a bit before I buy. Xmas and all that.

Wish I could see a 42mm and the 50mm side by side.

Im sure either would be fine though. I see the 42mm on sale fairly regularly.
It IS curious to me why the 50mm version is NOT available with the DOA reticle.

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/ri ... elite-6500

Too much stuff I dont know LOL
GodBless and thanks for the help
Steve

Got my DOA in a 42mm (Hate 50's) yesterday. Will mount it today.

Talk to me on that. Ive heard some claim the same dislikes.

3.7 oz heavier, a bit bulkier, the 50mm versions do look a LITTLE "off" on a short sporter. On a full blown varminter they look fine but not sure how much "looks" counts to others. Im wierd. lol
I am leaning towards the same scope as you have but keep in mind all I have for comparison is online photos.......so far.

Thanks again
God Bless
Steve

Fifty millimeter objectives require higher rings, necessitating lifting the head from the stock, unless the stock is designed to allow for the higher sight picture. For that reason, I prefer forty to forty-four millimeter objectives on my scopes.

DrMike":1qoz4li3 said:
Fifty millimeter objectives require higher rings, necessitating lifting the head from the stock, unless the stock is designed to allow for the higher sight picture.

And that is why me no likey 50mm. :mrgreen:

I had one on my 338 Lapua and loved the scope in every way, 2.5-16x42 was my poison of choice.

Here is my 2.5x16x42mm doa

suFMO.jpg

gEs6n.jpg

ocYVi.jpg

DMyHm.jpg

I have (2) 50mm scopes on TPS rings which are halfway between medium and high Leuopld rings but they are mounted on rifles which have high cheekpiece combs. For most rifles, a 42mm to 44mm objective lens is optimal. The 5:1 range of the 6500 Bushnell is nice to have and does not cost too much. For me, a 2.5-12X would be my choice but a 2.5-16x would work.

I am not a real fan of Bushnell but one of the guys who hunted with us this fall for Moose had one and it seemed very clear. I never had any trouble looking through my 3200 & 4200 but I am still a little concerned with their warranty. I just didn't like being advised that a life time warranty could not be used because the scope was to old :(.
I have a B & L elite on my 204 but this scope was from before they were bought out by Bushnell.

Blessings,
Dan

Call them about their warranty on their 6500....... :wink: :wink:

The Sightron SIII is the only other scope in that price range that will give you the magnification and optical quality which many other shooters have reported to exist in the 6500 Bushnell scope. Both are Japanese built scopes and probably are close in performance from what I have seen in print.

Personally, I stopped using 3200/4200 Bushnell's when I heard that the "Lifetime Warrantee" was only good for 10 years or so. Also Bushnell had built a bunch of 4200 scopes with 4200 glass, plus, 3200 scope tubes, parts and build quality. I have on the other hand, heard nothing but good things about the Sightron SIII scopes. Something to consider, although I would think that Bushnell would stand behind their top end, signature product?

Back