Cabelas Alaskan 6.5x20x44

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
On the 22-250 I just got came the Cabelas Alaskan scope in 6.5x20.44. The price on the scope box was $379.99. It has the normal eye focus adjustment, but also paralax adjustment. Not a light scope at about 17oz but not bad.

Clearity with this scope is very good from edge to edge and in this case the mil-dot is really worth it. Scope adjustment is 1/8th" instead of 1/4" which takes some getting used to and it has turrets for windage etc. although they are not as big and pronounced as other manufacturers.

The problems that I have with this scope is #1 no constant eye relief. The higher you turn up the magnification the closer you have to move your eye towards the scope. The 2nd problem is inconsistent tracking when adjusting. Of course these charactoristics are not at all uncommon with a cheaper scope. And inspite of what some may think of the price here as not cheap, for the magnification range it is a cheap scope IMO.

Cabelas had this built to put a good scope on the market with good glass and a couple of other nice features, but to keep it under that $400.00 range. I would not want it on a higher recoiling rifle a/c you might get "ring around the eyeball", but for the lite calibers it is a very nice scope.

Long

Long,

Sounds like a nice scope for the money.
Higher magnification = less eye releif and less light transmission. You need a min of 5mm for twilight conditions.
Let me know if you are in the market for a Leupold and I'll fix you up. :wink:

JD338

Long,

I have that exact scope on the .300RUM and YES as you stated, you had better watch what your doing. The nice thing about the Cabela's scopes, is there is a rubber ring around the back to eleminate the "cut" instead it's a KNOT!!
I have the smaller 4.5 X 14 on my .280 that I think is a little better unit.
Yes, for a cheaper scope in my opinion, they are a decent buy.

m1,
You may get in touch with ( JD338 ) in here. He just purchased a set of bino's and did " A LOT " of research and came up with a lot of good info !

I have two of the Alaskan Guides. On on a .280 and another on a .300RUM. Both still working great and not always in the best of conditions. The on on my .280 gets beat around on my ATV a lot and has withstood one roll-over. ( hard cased however )

Back